Needing some suggestions....

Our oldest is going to be 3 in 4 weeks we are going through a terrible stage where she says there are monsters. She has to fall asleep in our bed and then be put in her bed. We have tried night lights and leaving her closet light on and and showing her there are no monsters. Anyone else been through this?

Also we have a 17 month old that was hospitalized in Nov. for four days. Ever since then she will not sleep in her bed period. She throws such a fit she makes her self sick if we try and let her cry it out. Any thoughts on this? It is driving us crazy.

lapcounter

Asked by lapcounter at 5:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• For your older daughter; use a can of Lysol or a bottle of Febreze and go around the room spraying "monster repellent". It'll help santize and freshen the room while convincing her there's nothing to be afraid of.

For the younger one; try getting into a bedtime routine. Snuggle her up and read to her in a dim room before bed and then lay her down to sleep. Make sure she has been fed and is dry and then walk away. I only let my kids cry for 15 minutes at a time and then would go back to check on them and get them resettled. Don't pick her up. Kiss her and tell her it's ok and then continue to walk away. Eventually she'll fall asleep and it'll get easier in a few nights.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• for your older one, try staying with her untill she falls asleep in her bed, working down the time you stay with her untill she can be put to bed and go to sleep on her own

for your younger one, try holding her untill she falls asleep and then putting her in her bed. you could also try the same thing as with the older one, staying with her for a little bit and working down the amount of time

also, the monster spray is good too, maybe do both?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My daughter is now 4 years old and she still likes to crawl up in the bed with me and her daddy. When she was almost 2 years old I had another little girl who was in the hospital most of her life. She would try to take care of her little sister all the time. I never forced her to sleep in her own bed. I let her do it on her own. I've tried to put her bed next to mine, but she had to ne with me. Like I said, she is now 4 years oldand she wants to fall asleep in my bed, but another catch to that is I now have a one year old boy that won't sleep in his bed either, so I just deal with it. Oh yeah, I am also pregnant, so I can imagine what thats gonna be like. Good luck. Hang in there. My boyfriend gave up already. He sleeps on the couch sometimes. Our kids are bedhogs.
    angie108

Answer by angie108 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2008