time for myself

I am a sort of single mother my husband is away in Iraq. I need some time to myself I have people to watch my two girls but i am a lil scared to ask someone to watch my kids for a weekend while I take some time for myself my question is how do I get that time to myself feel in one day?

key_bailey

Asked by key_bailey at 5:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• Go get a massage, go to your favorite store, put on some music and do a hobby you like.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• How old are they? Do they take naps? If they are too old for naps you could tell them its time to spend some time in their rooms and you could take a bath, read, or take a nap or whatever. My dh and I work opposite shifts so either I am at home with dd or I am at work. I get my "me" time after she goes to bed. Also I make her have "quiet time" in her room while I take a nap or read or something.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I was a single mom and just had to suck it up. Its hard though. I would just take time for yourself here and there when you find it. Eventually the kids will be older and not want to hang out with you anyway and then you will have tons of time for yourself. Trust me, my oldest kids are teens and Im not cool anymore lol.

Answer by gemgem at 5:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• First of all- God bless you and your family for serving our country in Iraq. Finding time for yourself can be so hard. Do you have support through perhaps a wives club on base? Or maybe your kids have play date friends that you could offer a swap with. Pick a day to have someone else's kids come over for a few hours. Then chose a day the following week to switch. I am sure the other person might enjoy the trade and you might not feel as bad asking for the help.

weaselmom

Answer by weaselmom at 7:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If you can afford it, join the YMCA. We did and not only can I drop my kids off for 2 hours while I get a workout in (GREAT STRESS RELIEVER) but the YMCA usually has a parents' night out or a Mom's morning out where you can drop your kids off for 3 hours and do something for yourself. Whether it is getting a pedicure or a haircut, or even going grocery shopping without them. My husband is in Iraq and this is pretty much the only thing I can do to keep sane. We are considered "low income" by their standards and pay less than $35 a month. It's not getting a whole weekend to yourself, but you will be surprised at what even a couple hours will do for your morale.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• How about having a sleep over trade with another mother whose husband is deployed? That way you both get the benefit of a night to yourself.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't like anyone keeping my kids. I relax when they sleep. I can put a movie on and they'll watch it. If they are busy I take a bath. I leave the door open so I can hear them. I relax when they do. I have a 4 year old and a one year old. I am also pregnant so I always want to rest. They actually help me relax at times.
    angie108

Answer by angie108 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2008