Do you think the meaning of christmas is lost?

Do we spend more time worrying about buying that special toy and not enough time teaching our kids charity, humility, and love that neighbor? Are we raising a generation of selfish "me" kids? When your kids are grown do you think they are going to remeber the gifts you brought or the time you spent together?

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 5:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think my kids will remember both. I have an adult daughter so I kinda already know. I dont think the meaning of christmas is lost because I think its up to each parent to teach that. I know I have taught my kids correctly.

Answer by gemgem at 5:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Do I think the meaning of Christmas is lost? Not in my home.
    Anonymous

• It is lost for many Americans.

In my household it's not been lost. My kids know the reason we celebrate Christmas. My kids are to know all those things and practice them daily, not once a year. And they are taught to be grateful for what they have and not be greedy.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would be very disappointed if someone thought my kids were selfish because I have worked very hard to prevent that characteristic. It's the one time a year that we do go overboard but we try to offset it by having them donate their old toys and charity work
    a_leigh_d

Answer by a_leigh_d at 6:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• In individual homes? No

In society as a whole? Yes

Though I think that also depends on if you are talking about the SPIRIT of Christmas (peace, joy, goodwill towards men), which is what my answer refers to, and of which I think we should try to follow 365 days of the year or the RELIGIOUS meaning of Christmas, which is of no meaning or concern to me, as my family is not Christian.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• For some, maybe. In my household, no. I have taught my daughter what it means to share, care, and think of those less fortunate than she. We just went through a lot of her things, and she specifically picked out toys that she would like to give to less fortunate children.
    vanillacaramel

Answer by vanillacaramel at 6:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• The "me" teachings have been going on for quite a few years now....its just now showing up finally.

Yes, for many the meaning has gone out the window but there are still some who understand it.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think it is for some. 10 yr old SS, who is being brought up christian by his BM (DH and I are not christian) was upset because he felt he got less than 15 month old DD. He really got more because he already had Christmas from his BM and bio maternal grandma, and DD doesn't get anything from those people. My family (his step relatives) actually spent a little more money on him than DD because things for a 10 year old are more expensive. We spent the same amount on both. I guess he is just a greedy little kid. We were very dissapointed in him. So much for those good chrisitan values his mom is pushing on him. Thank god he'll be with his mom next year, we won't have to worry about "lavishing" his greedy little butt with much of anything.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Growing up we were always taught to give to less fortunate kids and when DD is older we will do the same with her. I was going to do something like that with SS, but his mom said she was already doing something and even blogged about how she was so excited that her little boy got a shoebox together for kids in Africa or something (Good Samaritans Purse I believe). When I asked SS what he and his mom did for charity this year he said they didn't get around to doing anything. How sad. So she blogged about how great the things she and her son were doing, and came off looking awesome, but in reality she didn't do crap! So typical.
    In OUR home we don't focus on the presents or the decorations.....we care most about the vacation time. LOL And we like to donate what we can when we can. I cannot wait until DD is old enough to get a name off the giving tree and shop for another child.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think that it has been lost. especially with them now trying to turn Christmas into holiday. but then what is the true meaning of Christmas. The Christmas tradition was taken from the pagan religion and added onto to make it Christian. So now the question would be would the pagans think that their true meaning of Christmas has been lost and I think that is yes.
    Someone said this is the one time of year they go all out in their house for gifts and offset it by donating to charity. that is nice but for a Christian that isn't the meaning of Christmas. I think that Jesus should be the center of attention when it comes to christmas being that is why it is widely celebrated now but a lot of non christians want to celebrate so they are trying to change what christmas is about for christians. can we get upset no cause we stole it from pagans. that is just my take on the whole thing.
    godsgrace1

Answer by godsgrace1 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008