Baby is grabing EVERYTHING

My child has learned to grab things. Mainly the things I'm holding. Which are sometimes hot or sharp, and I dont want him to get hurt!
How can I teach him to not grab at everything? He's only 6 months old so hes learning new things left and right. He has his own toys to grab on but he only wants what I have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think 6 months is about the earliest to start teaching them "no" but you really can't expect him to understand it quite yet. It's all about prevention right now. He wants what you have because if you are playing with it it must be interesting! I have a 6 month old and he's doing the same thing. I always have a toy close by and a pacifier in my pocket so that I can redirect him when he tries to grab something of mine. Just a gentle "No, that's mommys coffee. Here, you can have this instead" is the best thing for this stage I think.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 5:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I absolutely agree with the previous answer. This is a great time to teach your child the meaning of "no" but don't expect him to listen or even really understand. Simply keep reusing simple commands and reinforce the idea by offering an alternative. "No, that's not for you." or "No, that's too hot." are simple and even teach new words like "hot." Offer him something else and tell him "You can have this." or "This is your toy." It will be a while before he understand. Just be happy that he's exploring his environment because that's what he is supposed to do.

Butterflyechick

Answer by Butterflyechick at 6:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• At this point, I would just try to distract, or not hold hot things when you hold him. Babies grab. Thats how they learn.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2008