How would you answer this question? I need some good ideas for answers...

I have a New Year's Eve party that we are attending. Most of the people attending drink and I myself don't. I need some other ways of answering people because the answer "I don't drink" is met with smart comments back...For instance Oh man Nancy you need just chill out and have a few drinks or Nancy stop being so uptight or you need to loosen the he** up there lady. Truth is I used to drink on a regular basis but since I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 25 and I have stopped drinking per the orders of my nuerologist because of the medicine that I take to control my seizures. I have to be honest in saying that I don't go to adult parties for this reason. I just get tired of having to explain myself over and over again to a bunch of different people. So ladies how would you answer people if they gave you a hard time about not drinking alcohol?

my4kids274

Asked by my4kids274 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Holidays

• I am the DD (designated driver).
    I used to drink but I can't handle the kids when I get home if I do.
    I have more fun at parties when I'm sober.
    I look like I can hold my liquor but I can't.
    Chocolate is my drug of choice. Got any of that?
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me. You don't wan to ruin this party with a 911 call, do you?

happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would just say no thanks and leave it at that. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 6:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Tell them you're allergic and/or the last time you drank you had a seizure. So if they want you to drink then they'd better have the phone handy to call 911 in a few hours. This is true for my sister, and she always makes people feel like crap for pushing her. I personally don't drink anymore either. I quit cold turkey almost 10 years ago and haven't looked back. I get mean when people bug me about it.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• it is no ones business and just tell him plan and simple you don't drink or if you feel like telling htem the truth just tell them you take medications that if you mix with alcohol it can kill you. or you could say "i don't need to have a drink to have a good time" or "i personally like watching the show than being apart of the show" :) or if someone asks why don't you have a drink.. respond with "why do you have to drink?!"
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• tell them your the designated driver. leave it at that
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I also don't drink, because I don't want to. Just saying that has worked for me. If someone tells me to loosen up or whatever, I just look at him/her like s/he's an idiot and that's usually the end of it.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Tell them you already had one!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Why don't you just tell the truth that it's better not to drink due to the medication you are on for your seizures. That will make them stop in there tracks and not bug you. The truth is always the best way to go.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I said no thank you. If you feel you need to say more, say sorry I'm taking antibiotics or something.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yeap, the truth is the way to go... you don't need to go into the details, just say that you are on medication and doctor's order not to drink. Most people would back off right here, but if they keep bugging you about what medication you are on or asking more about your condition - well, it's your choice, if these are somewhat close friends/people that you would like to see again and often, you may want to just tell them the details and be done with that. If these are not close friends and you don't really care if you see them again, just say "it's personal".
    PeanutJordanMom

Answer by PeanutJordanMom at 10:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2008