Does anyone else think that our society has become irrationally obsessed with fear of pedophiles?

Let me start with- of course pedophiles do exist and horrible things can happen to children. I do understand this. However- I feel like as a society we have gotten out of control with our 'fear of pedophilia'.

First: Ummm.... these people existed when we were all kids and somehow we're here and surviving. And there weren't a million and 1 laws in place, mothers weren't constantly discussing their fear of such things, news shows weren't constantly showing stories about it, etc.

Second: Most children are molested by someone they know, such as a family member or a trusted family friend. Stranger abductions are extremely rare. Laws about pedophiles moving in and out of neighborhoods and living certain distances from places do absolutely nothing to keep kids safer. Find one study that can prove it works. Seriously- try to- I dare ya.

Third: A 19 year old who dates a 15 year old who consents to have sex is not a child molester or a rapist and yet he will have to register on a public website for the rest of his life. He will have trouble finding a job and a place to live.

Enough is enough. Use common sense. Teach your children how to take care of themselves. Educate them early and consistently about their own bodies and how to respect themselves. Make yourself a safe and comfortable person for them to come to with their questions and concerns. Stop expecting the legal system to do your parenting for you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It all comes down to education. Teach your children what the risks are and to be aware of their surroundings. Make sure they have the tools - mentally and physically to care for themselves. And teach yourself what the truth behind these issues are, what to watch for, who to contact when you have a legitimate concern and how and when to act.

DON'T put a unneeded fear of life in your children. They need to be able to function without being afraid of everyone that says hello! DON'T go searching for pedophiles on the net so you can post their picture! DON'T for some "city watch" group who's sole purpose is to rid the town of pedophiles! and DON'T assume you know a story until you get your facts!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• %15 - %25 of women were molested as children in North America. Most everybody knows someone who was molested growing up. I know several. Yes, the majority of the time the perpetrator is someone close to the family, or part of the family.

I don't think it is at all irrational to fear pedophiles. With such a high percentage of molestation, it is a valid fear for a parent.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• Absolutely.  My mom worries about EVERYONE. There's a guy pulling into the gas station, he could be a pervert. A woman is eating at the Mexican restaurant..she could be a child molester.

I think that everyone should be cautious.. but things are getting a little out of hand. 

For gosh's sake, parents can't even take baby bath pics anymore without gettin child porn charges. Not EVERYONE is a child molester.

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• Yes, I agree with every word you have said. And I do not teach stranger danger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• I don't have an irrational fear, but I do check out Watchdog and stuff. I also think that it could be one of the reasons so many people are so afraid for their children. That program shows ALL registered sex offenders, not just pedophiles.If a parent logs in to see their neighborhood, all those little dots pop up. IMO, better safe than sorry. My parents were very careful about stuff like this (my dad was military police, so he'd heard stories and had cases involving children), and we are, too, but not to an extreme like some people. We are proactive. We teach our children that no one is to touch/see them, and to let us know if someone does. Our kids even tell us if the other parent changed them or bathed them that they were naked and mommy/daddy saw their penis/vagina.We also tell reinforce that they can tell us anything, so they wouldn't be afraid to let us know. And our children are always within our sight.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• I almost agree. True, most crime is by people we know and trust. I worked with both offenders and victims of sexual assault. Still do. But I do agree with statatory rape laws. If you are under the legal age of consent it does not mean that child/teen can legally have sex regardless of what they willingly do. And yes, their intimate partner is held responsible. Simple solution: do not have sex with under age teens. I do not agree with sex offender registries but that is a different post. And it is still important to talk about stranger situations. It is about information, education, and reducing chances of assault.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• as for have we become obsessed with fear? I think its mostly those of us who HAVE actually had these crimes committed against us that fear the most.. I personally would NEVER want what happened to me, to happen to my children, so yes, there is some fear there. What's shocking is that the statistics about hwo many have had this happened are often very wrong.. A LOT of us didn't come forward or charges weren't filed, etc. So they aren't part of the statistics. Which makes it even scarier. I think it's better for it to be out there and open about it, so you are more AWARE of how scary the situations really are.. we actually just had a girl abducted a few towns over out of her bed, by a stranger.. thankfully she escaped alive... (not after being molested, but she escaped with her life). She was 10ish.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:43 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• Agree, and would like to add that weve become irrationally afraid of a lot of things. Pedophiles, strangers, what's in our food, fast food, smoking, etc. We barely thought about most of those things when I was a kid.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 26, 2011

• Yes, and if pedophiles just got the death penalty instead of being released we wouldn't have such a fear. I don't think any crime should be more punishable by death than those against children.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:54 PM on Aug. 26, 2011

• there was a movie once about that exact thing supermommy mentioned about taking a bath and calling it child porn. i think one of the woman was taking a picture of kids and the friend was pregnant and the girl lifted up the shirt. i mean now with digital you do not need to go any place to get it developed but i agree. i do get very worried butt its better to be safe then sorry. i do not want it to go to the extreme but you neve rknow. i agree with its usually someone you know. i believe that if parents are aware of the people that the children interact with. i do not beieve in leaving kids alone with doctors or dentist. ect. i do not see a need for it. everyone is different. its a scary world. i think it has been more ad more in the news because of the internet. i love that show how to catch a predator. its sick. its very sick sick.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:26 AM on Aug. 26, 2011