Why does my daughter wake up crying at night?

My 2 yr old (about to be 3 in feb,) wakes up at least 3 times during the night, but she wakes up crying and it concerns me because i cant calm her down. Anyone have any answers or suggestions??

natysmom06

Asked by natysmom06 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• She could be having night terrors. They're horrible and tend to happen more to young children. My son used to get them when he was 3. There's nothing you can do if that's the case. I remember feeling helpless while I held my son and he was crying and screaming in his sleep.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Night terrors really are horrible. I have them. The thing with nt's is that even if it looks like she's awake, eyes open and everything, she is still trapped in the dream. She may even hallucinate, so if she is dreaming of a monster, and you come and try to hold her, she will see the monster coming up to grab her. Just say over and over "Mommy is here, mommy made it go away. It's all better now. Mommy is here" Reassurance is the best way to pull her out of it. Also, do not wake her up if you can avoid it. If she is actually putting herself in danger, then of course do what you have to do, but if you can get her to calm down without waking her up that's the best. I only remember mine when DH has to wake me up.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son was having night terrors at that age- wakes up crying and you can't do anything to calm them down. They are always worse when the child is over tired. Try putting her to bed earlier, and/or increasing nap time so that she is getting more sleep.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son had night terrors and they were always the worst when he was over tired. They would also come on with any major change (daycare, move, etc.). The trick to night terrors is to keep the child safe without messing with them too much. As much as you want to help, they need to work themselves out. Messing with them while they are in that mode will only prolong the episode. (I learned the hard way)- One major determining factor is that night terrors generally happen within the first few (3-4) hours of sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Does she say if she is in pain? My son has "growing pains" that started when he was 2 and continue even now at age 5. We use tylenol to calm him down.
    hcmerrell

Answer by hcmerrell at 1:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2009