Problem family members

OMG...I know there is one in every family. Who is yours and what do they do that drives you so nuts?!

I just got back from my paternal grandmother's house. She is a complete nut job. She pops pills like they're candy and twitches from all of them...besides that, she feels the need to criticize everyone behind their backs. She will talk about how there is "something wrong" with my aunt's grandbaby because her eyes are so light she must be retarded (crazy, the child is not only FINE but beautiful). Today when she thought I was out of the room she told my entire family that my daughter wouldn't know what a home cooked meal was if it wasn't for her...lol...she sees me twice a year but apparently knows how I run my house. I really don't think I'm going back. The only reason I still go is because I feel obligated, but I'm through.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• I have had it with drama and family. I have decided to put my foot down and not participate. Starting with my own mother and now my MIL. Arg!! So my MIL does talk badly about all the relatives. She is basically talking about how spoiled this grown cousin is (can we say class envy?) and how her mother didn't raise her right. Then bad mouthing her SIL, BIL, and anyone who just doesn't share her opinion. In fact she actually said, "I just can't stupid people who give stupid opinions." Which really means: agree with me or you are an idiot. She kills me. When going to the grocery store she had a hissy when I picked up some bree cheese to buy. Actually said, "I'm not paying for that I just don't like it." I didn't fucking ask her to. Then five minutes later said, "I was just seeing if you REALLY wanted it so I guess I will pay for it." Who does that? I paid for it by the way.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• yeah,my daughters father.
    Anonymous

• Well, at least you're not under the impression that you can change her. That's a start! I have grandparents (and a dad) that I tolerate just because I know they're not going to be around forever, but like you, I don't see them that much. It sounds so frusturating!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 6:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• and here you are talking behind her back
    Anonymous

• so what if she is talking about her?! she is venting! thats what cm is for!!

anyway to the OP i agree with you girl! i would of said goodbye and wouldnt go back!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• cont....This woman is soooo pushy and rude. She gives and gives and gives but always with a stipulation. Once she told me I was not to ever buy a Rainbow vacume cleaner, to prove her point she took my husband shopping for the vacuum she thought we deserve. Oh, and she told me once I was not allowed to have a cashmere sweater because she didn't own one until she was 50. I bought 5 after that bitchy comment. Each time I wear them I smile. But she does shit like this ALL the time. Once she was so upset that we were going to paint the floor of our basement she tried to get my husband to have some people come to take measurements for carpet and said she was only paying for carpet. AGAIN: I didn't ask you to Bitch. Can you tell I can't stand her?

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• cont...The only redemeing quality she has is that she is very loving to my son and I do appreciate and admire their relationship. So I continue on. But one of these days if she crosses the line that bitch is toast. This Christmas I left her house early, just packed up and left with my son. Why? Because she dared to tell me, after she knows we are going to foster parent, that she thinks only babies should be adopted because foster children come with too many behavior problems. Fucking heartless Bitch. And duh! I'm a therapist. Dude, I can deal with their emotional/behavioral issues. Sorry to vent by I need an outlet. Feeling a bit better now.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Oh - and the woman back into my car this visit and cracked it. She actually said she hopes my deductable isn't too high. Pawh! Knee slapper. Of course her husband, who is basically this normal nice guy, is paying for it. I had to just leave. New rule: cut the shit out of my life. This just isn't right. If it means that it is just me, my husband, and my child (children) then I am ultimately okay with that.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Oh frogdawg...lol...I've never seen this side of you...Dont you dare apologize for venting. Sounds like you're fed up for good reason. Some people can work your nerves SO badly...I'm still pretty impressed with myself for making it through the day without popping my grandmother and ending up in jail. I ended up leaving early today after she yelled at my daughter for laughing while I tickled her...I mean YELLED at her to shut up...said she had a "headache" all of the sudden. I didn't think you could get a headache when you're that high off pills! Maybe she was coming down.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank you posting this thread. This is soooo cathartic, I really do feel better. Oh how I could go on and on. Just one more MIL story for the road. So my dad is being inducted into his high school hall of fame. He was honored and really felt good about it. We went as a family to support him and had to travel up back north. It just so happens it was during the same time of the annual family beach trip MIL plans every year. So I tell her, no can do this year. So she says to me, "Oh, maybe you will vacation with your husband next year. What a shame." As if my husband was not going to go with me but to their beach trip. She actually believed it was going to be that way.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008