When everything else fails, would you rub rum on your teething babies gums?

My 6 month old is teething SO BAD. Tylenol doesn't touch it, Motrin only works for about 4 hours when he can only take it every 6 hours. He hates anything cold. Teething tablets don't help at all. He chews on teething rings but cries the whole time. Teething biscuts help while he's chewing them but afterwards it seems like it's even worse. Baby oragel works for 15 minutes or so but I've heard using that too much toughens up their gums and makes it harder for the teeth to come through.

If you were in my shoes, would you try a couple drops of rum (or other liquor) on your finger to rub on their gums? It's one of the oldest tricks in the book, but a lot of people are really against it now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took my middle DD to the ER one time because she was screaming so bad and the DR told me to give her childrens advil, it lasted longer than the others, I was instrusted to give her 1 teaspoon, every 4-6 hours, I dont remember how old she was but she was young and the bottle didint say anything for her age group I know what you are going through and it is hard. Do what is best for your baby.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my mom and dad used to put whiskey on our gums before they were christians. i personally would be scared too but my mom said theres nothing wrong with it it won't hurt the baby. as long as its just al ittle bit. i personally wouldn't but its up to you
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My mother, sister, aunts and cousins all swear by blackberry brandy (and only blackberry brandy) for teething. I haven't tried it and I'm not sure why they just use that, but they all say it works.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 6:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm making this annonymous because I don't want this effecting people listening to my other comments but you need to find what works best for YOU and YOUR BABY! I wouldn't go flaunting it because you'll get a lot of slack but remember people are way over cautious with their children and unaccepting of other people's decisions. A bit of rum will not harm your child and if you find it relieves his pain wouldn't it be mean not to provide him the relief he needs?
    Anonymous

• My mother swears by whiskey on the gums and if i wasnt such a worrier I would try it. But I just try and use oragel but that really doesnt work for my DS
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 6:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Today after 3 hours of screaming and grabbing her gums, I put a tiny bit of the Captian on my drs gums. That was a last resort. Teething tablets did nothing, tylenol nothing, teething toys nothing. Rum calmed her right down. I barely used any. I'm talking I couldnt even feel my finger get wet.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 6:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Even though you are tempted too...don't because even though you just give alittle you really don't know what it does once it is inside your baby, yes it might soothe for now but how about later.
    Just let them suck on a popsicle or a cold clean rag but keep giving the baby teething medicine.
    teething tablets, baby oragel or whatever you have handy that is good for baby. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• No. I wouldn't. Are you sure its teething... Usually SOMETHING works... Good luck!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Not a chance in hell.
    Although, I might be tempted to have a shot myself, and allow it to get to her through my breastmilk.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I've used it on my kids, it doesn't hurt them and it works right away. I would go for it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008