I've been nursing for 2 months now and its still painful, Is that normal?

deefamily4life

Asked by deefamily4life at 11:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped for about two months ( my son is premature) and it did hurt more about that time so I had to stop. But I wish that I would've keep on going. For me I felt really guilty that I stopped. So if you can keep on going.
    villafana

Answer by villafana at 11:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• are you sure the baby is latching on properly? If the baby just has your nipple, and not the whole areola too, it is painful, and baby won't get enough to eat. have you tried putting Lanolin on your nipples? it's safe for baby and helps to heal any cracking or dryness. also try airing our your breasts as much as possible. I walked around topless one day when I first started, because they hurt so bad
    bttrfly8605

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Make sure you don't have a yeast infection. I had one, and it KILLED to nurse. If you do, the baby has one in its mouth also. Its like a vicious circle. The dr. can give you ointment, and a medication for baby's mouth.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I would question your latch. Is the baby latched on CORRECTLY? Is he/she gaining weight?
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 1:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2008