What are some signs of autism in a 19 month old?

cmk323

Asked by cmk323 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• lack of eye contact. lack of certain language milestones. not wanting to be held. overly fussy.
    mommy_wambles

Answer by mommy_wambles at 11:24 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• I am a mom of 3 autistic boys. Some of the signs are: not wanting/showing affection, obsessing with certain items (toys) not communicating well, jumping/hopping in place, shaking arms and hands, hitting themselves (mainly in the head or face).
    These are some of the things I have experienced with mine. I am NOT of medical profession....fyi ;)
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• lack of sppech or delay is in itself not a sign
    but can be one of the signs
    autism really is a lack of communication
    and speech is only one way humans communicate
    a child that age will pint to things-if your child does not point
    a child picked up will hold on-if your child is not grabbing onto you-more like a sack of potatoes
    staring at lights, or spinning fan or spinning wheels of toy and not making it roll like a toy truck
    can have some self ingurging behavoirs, head banging, biting onesself
    children at this age do not play with others but by the side of others, but if wants to play alone and does not seek out others-again early to play WITH other kids
    lack of eye contact-but hard to judge as a mother (i think)
    does not play the repeat game(you say bubble and child trys to say)
    a lose of speech or skills-some loose, some never have

take cows milk out for five days (replace with almond milk) more speech?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:29 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• early intervention is KEY
    speak to your ped, if ignored, speak to another doc, keep asking until you get reffereal to county birth to three program
    that is where we started, birth to three will NOT say autism, but if suspected they will refer to autism doctor and birth to three was EXCELLENT in explaining senosory processing disorder - can have SPD without autism, but pretty much all autism kids have SPD, and this helps you understand (or start to understand) how environment has effect of taking in info through the sense and when senses are not working how this shows in kids

mine is moderate autism and four now, email if you like
    it took me 13 months to get ss disabilty for autism waiver - so IF your child has autism dx, have to be very active to get services
    -----------------------------------
    what makes you think your 19 month old might have autism?????????
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• probaly too much googling is making me think that. his speech consists of moma that's it other than babbling, he used to say bye bye and wave he stopped at 14 months, he turns his head to the side and spins in circles all the time, bites the heck out his hand all the time for no reason that i can see, not walking by hisself, rather stay to himself than associate with others most of time, doesnt look when i say his name but he can hear a certain commercial come on tv and crawls really fast to get to tv, sits on his knees bounces up and down while flailing arms. am i just overstressing myself or what?
    cmk323

Comment by cmk323 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Aug. 26, 2011

• No, not overstressing. My 13 yo has autism and him not turning when I called his name was the first sign. Loss of speech at any time is a red flag, spinning in circles also, arm flapping - I would call early intervention in your area and get a free developmental evaluation. If there are no delays, then you have peace of mind. If there are concerns, they will offer free or very low cost therapy.

Answer by missanc at 8:26 AM on Aug. 27, 2011

• The first thing I noticed was lack of eye contact. She didn't point at things like toddlers do. She had learned about 5 words but lost them at about 18 months. She didn't respond to her name any more. She started having sleep difficulties.
    ClairesMom318

Answer by ClairesMom318 at 4:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2011