iron supp while breastfeeding and pregnant?

Anyone taking an iron supplement while they breastfeeding and pregnant?
I have always had low iron and had to take an extra 65mg while pregnant with DD. Since having her 15 months ago I have just taken prenatals, but there was a month or so when I didn't. During that time I was turned away from giving blood because of low iron. So, now that I am pregnant and breastfeeding I am wondering if I need to take extra iron on top of the 18mg in my prenatals. But, I don't know if it isn't good for DD through my breast milk. I won't be going to the doctor for another month or so.

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 6:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would call your family doctor and ask, but if you are normally low iron, then I would increase your intake... maybe not the whole extra 65 mg, but something.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have some 25 mg pills. I guess I could call my family doc. I don't have an OB yet because the one I was seeing told me to wean DD when she found out I was TTCing. I have to search for a new one now.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yeah that is tough. I can see her side of it, but it is still very possible to get pregnant while bf'ing, so it is crazy that she would tell you that.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• she told me to wean because, and I quote "you don't want to be breastfeeding a two year old and a new born." It had nothing to do with medical reasons. I can understand medical reasons.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm pregnant and weaning my daughter off the booby. I take a prenatal multivitamin that has high folic acid and iron in it.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2008