My 21 month is really red in her diaper area.

My dd has a red bum and red private area and desitin doesn't seem to be working...I know I need to take her in to the dr. but I wondering what it could be. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

funmomof2

Asked by funmomof2 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Could be a yeast rash...not the same as a yeast infection. It would need antibiotic cream.

Or maybe you should just try something like Aquaphor or A&D ointment. The creams irritate sometimes. Powder might help too.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• One more thing; stop using baby wipes for a day or so and see if it helps. Those still sting, even with the alcohol free ones. Try using damp papertowels or washcloths.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If you are going to use a diaper rash cream, keep in mind if it's tough to apply - then it's tough to get off and rubbing may really hurt or irritate it more. I think Desitin creamy applies well and works pretty good too. The best one out there I can think of is Triple Paste but it is expensive.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• One other thing my Pedi suggested is using Neosporin to help heal it bad rashes faster.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Vaseline is a miracle cure for diaper rash. Put it on really heavy. The urine is probably irritating the area. Also, if she is eating alot of foods that have alot of acid in them that is not helping either. Glob on the vaseline and let me know how she is in the morning. I bet it will be much better.
    lovemy2kidsfor

Answer by lovemy2kidsfor at 9:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It is probably just diaper rash. A little known fact is that your child can actually form an immunity to ointments and they lose all effectiveness. Try cornstarch in her diaper. I used to be leary of old wise tale remedies but there are a few that I have found useful and not so outrageous or risky. This actually works. If you are not comfortable with it still then try Dr. Palmers Bottom Butter. I found that to work really well too.
    Moni.ME

Answer by Moni.ME at 9:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Try sprinkling baby powder in her diaper at every change, it was a miracle worker for my son when he was younger!
    drezmommy

Answer by drezmommy at 11:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would let the child run without a diaper for a little bit. Take away the wipes with scent in them. My child had a reaction to scented items. Baby powder and cream every other change switch it. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son gets this sort of "butt burn" rash from his poo, its worse when he has diarrhea or on an antibiotic.
    What has worked best for me is Boudreaux's Butt Paste. It smells terrible, but works great! I use Neosporin also. (In this situation I'd probably go straight to the neosporin.) Also, ditch the wipes, the alcohol in them hurt. I use strong paper towels (such as Scott, or Bounty), dampened with a bit of baby wash.
    Powder actually can make a yeast rash worse.
    FroggyJenni

Answer by FroggyJenni at 1:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ask your dr. for a prescription of "butt paste" it is thicker and grainier than Boudreaux's, but works excellent!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2009