how can i get a 21/2 yr old to stay in her own bed???

she has been in ours since 6 months old she says she wants to sleep in her room but then gets scared when we turn out the lights but have the night light on she cries help!

mom2hannah30

Asked by mom2hannah30 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should watch a few episodes of nanny 911 on the CMT. Usually airs all day Sundays. Basically though you need to make a clear decision that it is time for her to sleep in her own bed and that it is no longer OK for her to sleep with you. Once you make that decision you must stick with it without exception. Going back and forth between mommy's bed and her bed will only cause confusion.
    Once the decision is made, that night put her in her room, say goodnight, and leave. Let her scream it out for about 10 minutes or so. If she has begun to calm wait to see if she'll soothe herself to sleep. If not go in, calm her, say goodnight, and leave again. Repeat this process till she falls asleep completely. I will be hard for you, but eventually she'll get used to the routine and it will be a cinch.
    Butterflyechick

Answer by Butterflyechick at 7:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Oh, I feel your pain. I had the same issue. I would lay on the floor next to my sons bed til he feel asleep, sometimes he would sleep all night long other nites no so good. But we just kept putting him back in his bed even if he did cry or scream. And it did take a while, but he now goes to bed really good. It took alot of patients, it is hard sometimes, but they must know that you are the boss and things will be done this way.
    Anonymous