How do you deal with an overbearing Inlaws?

My inlaws swear they know it all. Whatever I do with my kids it's always the same "we didn't do that with our children". My bf isn't much help, seeing as though he thinks that everything they did was correct. How do I get it past them that they are my kids and they should step down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I solved that problem. We moved 1800 miles away
    Anonymous

• when they say "we didn't do that with our kids", simply reply with "well its what I'M doing with MINE!", they should get the picture pretty soon, if not you can always try what anon 7:22 did
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 7:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I take my lovely husband in the other room and talk sh*t on his parents loudly lol.Ive honestly tried talking to them they dont listen,they raised 11 kids and know it all (eyeroll).
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I just made it a point to say in front of them plenty of times that i will raise my daughter however I want and that i dont want advice unless its asked for. I also have said that theres nobody that could give me advice that I can say has parented their child better then I am mine, which may be a rude statement, but my family as well as my husbands have a totally different way of raising/how they raised their kids, then the way i raise mine. i am way more "martha stewart" type, protective, and try to do each thing possible the best for my daughter and I know for a fact that they did/do alot of shitty stuff that I would never do, so after that comment I dont think they dared try to tell me..LOL
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I had this problem w/MIL this is what I told her "you had YOUR chance to raise YOUR kids now it's my turn"..aka "I'M THE MOM and what I SAY GOES". She didn't understand so I got a little more blunt with her "if you want to play Mommy all over again, GO HAVE A BABY OF YOUR OWN". She got the message that time. Put your foot down and be assertive.
    Fooph121780

Answer by Fooph121780 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008