There are older kids that love hanging out with my son and I am having a hard time with this. I don't want him to grow up to fast am i just being silly?

My son is 7 and really athletic. We are always outside playing which attracts other kids from other street to come over and hang out. They are older kids that love to play with him and hang out with him. My son is 7 and the other kids are 13 & up. I just want to know am i being a little silly about feeling this way? I just don't want him to grow up to fast. The kids appear to be good kids but i really don't know much about them. I don't want to judge and then make them feel bad because who knows maybe they don't get the attention at home and they come to hang out with us to get that attention. I just don't know????

Angela1436

Asked by Angela1436 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• IMO, as long as they're playing on 'your turf' you're good. You can keep an eye on what's going on, and your ds gets the thrill of hanging out with the older boys. The way things are you can kind of control what he's exposed to, and if it gets out of hand send the other boys home.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 7:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• The kids coming to your house to play..no worries. Your son going off to 'hang out' with them..nope. He is way too young to be hanging out socially with 13 yr olds.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Ditto to the other 2 answers
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I agree that as long as it is under your watchful eye, it should be fine. Remember that the older kids have a vocabulary you may not want your son learning and some life lessons you may not want him learning yet, so always be in close proximity. My 5 year old likes to play with an 8 year old neighbor, even with me in the area, my daughter has learned some stuff I'd rather she didn't. (whispering is bad, lol).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My kids have friends that are all different ages. There are 2 boys on our block that are 12/13 years old and they come over and play if any of my kids are outside. The one really likes to help with my 2yo. He's so cute with her. He moved away, though, so I guess he won't be around any more. The other boy is the older brother of my son's best friend (his friend is 7, too).
    When I was 13 my best friend was 8. We were a perfect match and have been friends ever since. I'm 32 and she's 27 and we're still friends and now our daughters are best friends, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Fine to a point. I find in our neighbor hood that the older kids often want someone to BOSS.
    LauraPPL

Answer by LauraPPL at 8:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would say its okay as long as its on your turf and you can monitor the situation. I know that they are older but his athletic skills seem to be the reason why and honestly I can see quite a few advantages for him including building his athletic skills and the positive social skills (when they are under your eyes you control what is and isn't okay).
    You are also providing the older kids the opportunity to be positive role models and built their own social skills.
    As long as its in your yard, I would be okay with it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008