What is the best way to get rid of dandruff?

I am 22, and I just started getting dandruff about 7 months ago, I have tried like all different kinda shampoos for it and it dont seem to help at all. I dont have it like really bad, but I think it' s getting worse. Any advice?

CarolinaMom06

Asked by CarolinaMom06 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Tea tree oil. Paul Mitchell makes a shampoo with it. Or you can get the oil and rub it into your scalp a couple of times a week. It's antimicrobial and antibacterial so it will kill the dandruff. Don't share combs or brushes with anyone until it's gone because you'll just end-up passing it around.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 7:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Head and Shoulders shampoo..even store brand...hubby had that problem...not anymore...tryi it..
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• head and shampoo,garni frutis(sp), and protene, also if you wash your hair frequenlty use less soap. danduff is used from using to much soap and not getting all of it out. at least thats what the doc. told me lol hope it helps
    aidensmommy18_2

Answer by aidensmommy18_2 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Just a thought...my 13 yo daughter had a serious dandruff problem and we even took her to a salon to be treated and after 4 wks of scalp treatments, we took her to a dermatologist where they diagnosed her with psoriasis. If it doesnt clear up you might think about seeing a specialist.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Dandruff is NOT caused by not getting the soap out. It's a skin condition that has to do with the chemical balance in your body. Some people produce more, some less. It depends on your genes. Anyway, I've found that soaking my scalp in vinegar, white vinegar, helps b/c dandruff is like a yeast. Also, I use Luster's Pink Plus Scalp Soother & Oil Sheen it's in a pink can with a pink "straw" thing to connect to the nozzle so you can spray it right onto your scalp. I do it that everyday and it keeps down the dandruff. Oh, I rinse with the vinegar and let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight, depending on how bad it is....if it's not bad, I do the 30 minutes and do it every few days.

GOOD LUCK!
    SuperHumanC

Answer by SuperHumanC at 11:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Selsun Blue is the only dandruff product that worked for me. Don't get the kind that is mixed with moisturizer - buy that separately.
    If you find that you cannot gain control of your dandruff and start to get scaly patches or the dandruff gets worse, talk to your doc about a prescription shampoo.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have dry scalp, idk if that is considered dandruff or not. I use Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner. Not the all in one, they have separate conditioner now. My problem is not severe though, thats why i think it works well for me.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• first, is it really dandruff/? i thought i had it, and my stylist said NOPE, just a dry scalp... she said dandruff floats in your hair in big nasty chunks.. so make sure its one of the other, before you treat the wrong one... if its a dry scalp.. its the weather, the fact you are either pregnant, or had a baby in the last ten years... our bodies change, before, during, and after birth,
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2008