why is my 13 month old hitting herself in the head with her hand or toys? she also hits her head on the wall and doors

redashes

Asked by redashes at 7:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Health

• Head banging is ONE of the signs of Autism and other neuro developmental disorders... I would have her evaluated by a Neurodevelopmental Pediatrician. If she is also exhibiting any of these other signs you should definitely have her evaluated.  Your regular Pediatrican can recommend/refer you to someone.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'd say she probably likes the noise it makes or even the feeling.. My daughter did that and she is not at all autistic. Don't freak out!!!
    Anonymous

• My daughter did that for a time also. I thought she might be autistic, but she certainly doesn't have any other signs. I decided that she was probably doing it to get a reaction out of us. It's true. We stopped reacting, she stopped hitting herself, and moved on to other ways of finding attention...like doing "cool tricks" (standing on her head.)
    mlinton87

Answer by mlinton87 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My daughter did/does that also. She had some developemental delays due to her birthmom using drugs while pregnant. My DD is fine now, but once in awhile she still will hit her head on the wall, chair, anything hard. Her deve. therapist told us it was some type of sensory issue, and that hitting the head like that is giving her some sort of sensory stimulation that she needed. She's NOT autistic, so there ARE other reasons for this type of behavior. Ask your dr. or have an EI evaluation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my ds use to do it when he got frustrated or upset. I went to his dr and she told me that it was perfectly normal and that they would learn to stop once they realized it hurts. She will grow out of it. It's not Autism it's just a phase she is going through right now.
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2008