Celebrating Christmas, not believing in God...

So my husband doesn't believe in God. I am not sure what I believe. But both of us are crazy about Christmas. We put up our tree on Halloween! I guess we just do the "Hallmark Christmas". We dont do anything religious for the holiday. Does anyone else do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We don't put it up that early, but we don't do anything religous either.
    Anonymous

• Lots of people do that...although, I'm not sure about putting the tree up on Halloween, lol.
    Both me and my husband are atheists and my dad (whom we live with) is agnostic and we always do Christmas. I don't put our tree up until the beginning of December, though. Just whenever I feel like it. I'll probably take it down next weekend before the kids start back to school.
    There is nothing religious about our celebration other then a few old angel ornaments on the tree and some religious Christmas carols that I still enjoy singing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday. I am Christian, I just choose not to celebrate the religious aspects of the holiday due to the history behind it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yeah I'm not a Christian, but I love Christmas. I will always celebrate it!
    Anonymous

• I do! I'm not religious at all, but I love to get into the spirit (minus all the religious stuff), give presents, and such. Its so much fun and it teaches children to give and care. Also, it gives you a great excuse to visit others and have great food.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Go to my page and look at the Yule post. This is our celebration at our house. And no religious aspect to it at all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I celebrate x-mas not christmas lol. no really though, I'm not religious and love christmas!! It's what I grew up with and what I'll continue to keep doing :)
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 8:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We do and we are agnostic. I celebrate the Solstice as well. Most of the christmas traditions come from older Yule and Solstice celebrations that were around a long time before Jesus was even born. Christmas was created by the church to compete with the pagans who celebrated the solstice- they figured they could draw more converts if they adopted many of the same traditions. There are so many meanings to christmas nowadays, I see no problem celebrating it if you are not a christian.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• With the exception of putting up the tree in October ... LOL... yeah.

I am Buddhist & my husband doesn't know what the hell he is lol ... and doesn't care.

Out tree goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving. We buy for each other, the kids, friends, & family... send out cards, listen to holiday music, watch the holiday shows, bake cookies... the whole 9 yards.

Just no nativity scenes or church services for us.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My husband and I are atheists and we always celebrate Christmas in our own way.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008