• In the Spotlight:

Book recommendations?

I'm the hunt for some good reading material.

I don't care much for books that have a lot of filth in them...a little is fine but the whole porn-style novel isn't for me. I like books that make you think, chic lit, Christian, murder mysteries, etc.

Can you recommend anything?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• For murder mysteries the J.D Robb series are really good as well as Janet Evanovich with her Plum Series.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 7:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Donna Andrews has a fun light mystery series- Murder with Peacocks is the first, I believe- that is very enjoyable and has entertaining characters. I also like Tamar Myers. If you enjoy a bit of somethin' somethin' try the Prince series by Susan Grant. They are light science fiction but will make you sigh. :)

Answer by Bmat at 7:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• anything by nicholas sparks and jodi picoult
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If you like Christian reading then I would recommend the "Left Behind" series. I've read them through twice since they've been in print and still learn more about God and the rapture. I keep my Bible close at hand so I can look at references made in the books.

"Flowers For Algernon" was recommended above and that is a good book.

I read such a wide variety of books that anyone would find me in any bookstore of book aisle of a regular store looking over all the books and reading through them to find something worth my interest. I know I spend about 2 hours looking for a few good reads, which drives my husband nuts. He refuses to go with me anymore when I need to go bookshopping...LOL.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• any thing by jodi picoult. (i would recommend starting with my sisters keeper... that will really make you think)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I agree anything by Nicholas Sparks, there are some pretty good Amish based books written by: Wanda E. Brunstetter (Merry Heart, Looking for a Miracle, Plain and Fancy, The Hope Chest, and then there are the sister books a Sisters Hope etc...) also any of the Love Inspired books they are about $5 at like the Wal-Mart or Fred Meyers (if you have that store, it's like a higher class Wal-Mart). Happy Reading.
    gomergirl

Answer by gomergirl at 10:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• The Twilight series are very good reads. They are for all ages as well.
    Anonymous

• I like Iris Johansen's thriller novels. She also writes romance novels, but I'm not into that kind of reading so I can't really say how they are.

I'm a huge King and Koontz fan. I like Gregory Maguire - he wrote Wicked which tells the Wizard of Oz story from the Wicked Witch's viewpoint. Brad Metlzer... Dan Brown...
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The Glass Castle
    Water For Elephants
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    The Secret Life of Bees
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    ClownPleco

Answer by ClownPleco at 7:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• oh i have the book for you.... i dont need the filth... i like the make you think.. anyhow, Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik... its the best book I have read in the past couple of years... its an easy read, you can look it up on amazon.com and somewhere in the mess of links, you can read the first few chapters... let me know if you get it.. i would love to do a forum with this book...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2008