My 4 month old started solids last week. He loved cereal the first 2 days, but since then, won't even open his mouth for the spoon. He did have shots that 3rd day that I tried to feed him, but that was 3 days ago and he still won't eat cereal. Has anyone had this problem or any advice for me?

Tiffany710

Asked by Tiffany710 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had a similar problem. He loved it at first because it was new then just stopped so I started mixing apple sauce in with the ceral to give it flavor he loved it. If I didn't have apple sauce I'd mix it with gatorade or some kind of juice instead of water.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 7:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• At 4 months old, eating "solids" is more for practice than for nutrition, and is not neccesary. If he is not interested, then let it go and try again the next day.
    When my daughter was that age, I mixed some fruit (baby food stage 1) with the cereal to make it taste good, and gave it to her as a snack, or a treat.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• All of the research and the experts (World Health Organization, American Academy of Pediatrics etc.) suggest it is best to wait until baby is 6 months old. If he is not wanting to open his mouth for the spoon then he is not ready. Take a break and give it a try again when he is a bit older :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it. Stop giving him solids for a week or so and try again later.

I didn't start solids with my youngest 2 until they were 6 and 7 months old.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yes.
    My advice is to stop giving him solids until he is ready for them.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I started my son on cereal about 1 weeks before his 4 month check up the dr said it was fine and actually told me to start baby food. After his shoots he did the same thing he didnt like the cereal I mix it with baby prune/apple juice and he likes it but still gives me a bit of a hassle that is ontill i started him on bananas now anything I put on a spoon by his mouth its wide open, so my suggestion is just try something that he will like and then he will most likely be more open to eating
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 8:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Please study the shots if you haven't already. www.thinktwice.com
    Anonymous