Is the second labor always faster?

My first labor was only about three and a half hours two years ago and i am due in feb. I am really scared that this is going to be way fast and i am not going to make it to the hospital... plus my bf works 1 half hours away and all our family and friends live at least 4 hours away!!! I'm freaking out!!

JustUsTwo

Asked by JustUsTwo at 7:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've heard it goes faster the 2nd time around, but every pregnancy is different. Just pack your bags and have them ready in the car!
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 7:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You need a plan.

Maybe one of your friends could come and stay with you as you get closer? My 2nd labor was much quicker than the first.

Someone needs to be around for you, so it's good to think about it now? Could your mom come and stay?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You need a back up plan! You need a neighbor or someone who lives near you to take your child if you need to go to the hospital ASAP.
    My MIL only lives 30 minutes away and I still have a plan.

I will have my second baby in february too! Hopefully everything will be OK this time
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 8:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• In general yes. Because your body has done it before and knows what to do this time. Mine definitely went faster. Especially by pushing time ( three pushes and he was here). The third one was even faster and my 4th was an emergency c-section so IDK. Always have a plan and prepare for the unexpected.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• for me my second wasnt a surprise, i needed to be induced 8 days past my due date. i went into the hospital at 6pm and around 8pm the next day i was having regular contractions and really strong contractions for about 20 minutes and i didnt even have to push for 1 minute

so once i got going it went super quick but it wasnt too bad because it was semi scheduled
    learae

Answer by learae at 9:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• no. my first was 4 hours, my second 17. so don't get too excited about a quick one, but i wish you the best of luck!
    kat4jc

Answer by kat4jc at 9:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Both my first and second labor times was about 8 hours. The time a needed to push got less. First one I pushed 50min, and the second less than 5 minutes probably. They didn't have the bed set up for that part yet.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• for me i was in labor 7 hours with my first nd pushed three times and had a baby as for my second time 27 hours of pure hell pushed for 2 hours and the had a csection so this didnt hold true to me at all but i think i am not normal when it comes to this
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 10:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my first was 11 hours and seemed pretty easy at the time, but my second was sooo much worse! i had contractions for two days before my induction day which was at 38 wks. From the first minutes of induction to birth was 26 hours! I went in thinking it would be quicker too...(my mom said the second is quicker than the first), and I was dead set against the epidural! But 10 hours later and many many terrible contractions later, I was still only dialated to 3 1/2 (which i had been for 2 wks), so I begged for the Epidural! Even after that it wasa while but at least i didn't hurt as much. I dont think you should count on a shorter labor second time around, but i sure do wish you the best of luck!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• awww, try to stay calm. When your water breaks then just RUN to the hospital-you will be fine!!!! (My labor was over 24 hours-you are lucky, lol)
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 10:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008