should my daughter be pressing buttons?

My daughter is 4 months old, and she got a new toy for christmas, that says the buttons are for tactical stimulation, but she cant even sit up by herself yet, should she be able to press buttons right now?

x_tinky_x

Asked by x_tinky_x at 7:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely not. She has not yet gained enough fine motor control to reach out a finger and press something down. If your lucky she might wack at it and accidently press something but don't expect her to press buttons to see what the result will be.

Also, please remember that development varies from child to child. Your child can walk as early as 9 months or as late as 15 months and be completely normal either way. Just take note of the changes and growth she is achieving at her own pace and make sure it's not significantly behind where she should be.
    Butterflyechick

Answer by Butterflyechick at 8:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I've seen so many toys that are not age appropriate, it's not even funny. They build all sorts of bells and whistles into the toys and then slap a label like "tactical stimulation" on it so parents think it will do something extra. Sigh. What it really means is that the surface of the buttons will feel different under her fingers, not that she will be able to press the buttons or that she will learn cause and effect if she accidently does manage to press a button and make a noise happen. My little girl is 2.5 now and I still have a few "baby" toys that she couldn't work as a baby and still can barely work now.
    What should you look for in a good baby toy? Lots of textures for her mouth and fingers to explore and some easy, fun noises to make. Don't worry about squeezing this paw to get a beeping noise or that foot to get the ABC song.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• If you are concerned about milestones, call your local health department and ask if they have a first steps or healthy start program... Those are great, free resources for keeping your lil one on track :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 8:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank you guys soo much, you've taken a load off my chest :p !!!!!!!
    x_tinky_x

Answer by x_tinky_x at 8:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Most of the time the ages on toy label are what they are safety tested for not what age the toy is developmentally ready for.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• my dd is 5 months and she can "press" buttons, but i don't think she really knows it. i doubt it makes a difference if it lights up and makes noise! maybe in a month she'll figure it out, though she does like watching the little lights. don't worry!
    ariel08

Answer by ariel08 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2008