Anyone think it's cruel to tell your kid there's a santa claus?

Forgive me if this has already been asked, I haven't been on this website for a bit. I don't want to lie to my kids about there being a fake man that delivers presents to EVERY kid in the world in one night and keep up the lie for years just to tell them that I was lying. But I couldn't resist taking my daughter and getting her "first" santa pic at the mall this year lol. How do you handle it?

amyofthejungle

Asked by amyofthejungle at 8:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• no we don't and christmas is over.
    Anonymous

• I think it's stupid that people call it a lie. It's really a tradition for most people, and of course when we're like 8 or 9 and that kid tells us santa isn't real we're pissed, but we grow to just know he's not, and it's a tradition.

I'm 19, and I still get presents from "Santa."
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• this is anon 8:20 sorry for the rudeness but this question has a tendancy to create alot of problems so be prepared.
    Anonymous

• I don't...and I can't...see it as a lie. Kids are forced to grow up so quickly these days that allowing them to believe in a little childhood magic seems like such a small thing.

To each his own.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I agree with Ticcled...
    Plus..honestly..how many people are seriously scarred for life because they're parents said that santa was real? Ha.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Whatever works for your family. Sometimes I feel a little twinge of guilt when my daughter gets so excited on Christmas Eve, but at the same time, my parents did Santa Claus for my sisters and I and none of us got bent out of shape when we discovered the reality. Like oliviasmommy said, I consider it more of a tradition than a lie.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I never told my son one way or the other concerning 'Santa', there were plenty of other people who would take care of that for me. When he asked me if I believed in Santa then I would tell him it wasn't important what I thought, and ask what he believed.
    I allowed him to use his logic, and at 7 he decided that Santa doesn't exist, that it is the parents who are Santa. I was able to remind him that I never lied about Santa, which is good because I have recently stressed the importance of being honest with each other.
    That's what works for us.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 8:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It's make believe. It's fun. It is not a lie and your kids aren't going to hate you later on for telling them about Santa. I believed in Santa as a young child and found out on my own it was really my mom and dad. But I never held it against them or called them liars. It's not this big deal that everyone makes of it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It's not make-believe if you're telling them it's real, ugh.

My kids know there is no such thing as santa, but they are MORE than welcome to pretend he's real. I have no issues with that. I taught them the REAL reason that WE celebrate Christmas. They make-believe Spiderman and Incredible Hulk is real too...who cares? They know they aren't really real.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• .....Its your choice, rather too or not i let my little one believe in anything it goes great with their imaginations . i let them be free thinkers and dreamers, they wont be scarred for life, when they find out momma and daddy got them their things, they will just start demanding more lol

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2008