Do I really need to see the doctor?

My hands and feet have been swelling everyday for the past week and a half. I'm 30 wks. Some people tell me don't worry about it and some people say I need to get to the doctor? What do you ladies think?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 8:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Swelling can be a sign of toxemia, pre-e, and a few other conditions. BUT, some women just hold a lot of water weight when they're pregnant too. I personally would call my OB, just in case. If you're not feeling too bad than it's probably not serious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I think since it is worrying you that you should call your doctor and ask. I am curious about the hand swelling. Get it checked out and then you won't need to worry. Would you please check back in and let us know what you find out?

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would definitely see a doctor.

asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I was the same way, only it way mostly my fault I craved salt on everything so thats why i was so swollen but by the time it was 12 in the morning i couldnt even put my sneakers on. But just in case it is toxemia I agree with oliviasmomma, i would call your OB just in case, good luck momma
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 8:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Sounds like PreEclampsia... I had it and they induced me at 38 weeks.
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Most times, swelling of JUST hands and feet is edema (fluid retention) but if it concerns you, ALWAYS check it out with your Dr. Better safe than sorry, and I'd rather be over cautious with my belly bean than take chances that make me nervous. And like the PP said, swelling of the face needs immediate attention.
    Aidans_Mom915

Answer by Aidans_Mom915 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• edema (retaining fluids) could mean something very serious.. please see a doctor!
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 8:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have had edema from pregnancy for 2-3 weeks now and I am only 21 weeks. Don't panic, just call docs office and let them know and they will ask to see u if they think u need it. Just another joy of pre-motherhood lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I've been having swelling really bad since I was around 28 wks, but my doctors didn't really care until my BP went really high at 37 wks. Now I'm on bedrest. So yeah I would tell your doctor about it. In my case, I have preg-induced hypertension and edema, and am at high risk for Pre-E because of it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Definately see your OB! Swelling is a sign of preEclampsia which comes with high blood pressure. With pre Eclampsia you risk having siezures. Other signs to look for incude seeing white flashes or bursts of light, head aches and upper abdominal pain. Good luck!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008