Living in Small Spaces

My husband is deploying for a year - after the year we are PCS'ing over seas. To help pay off so much debt that we have (the car payment and credit cards) we are moving into a friends house. I will be her live in Nanny. She has a huge house (close to 4000sq feet). We are getting two bedrooms (one for me and one for our boys). The rooms are fairly large. However there is a very small closet in the boys room & no closet in mine. We currently own a 3 bedroom large house (to ourselves) .. so to get to my question... Could you guys give me advice, tips and every thing in between to help stuff or "stuff" (lol) into our small environment for one year (did I mention that our bathroom we will have is shared with the whole down stairs {I am use to my own bathroom and I have alot in it lol})
Thank You for your help.

GaSouthernPeach

Asked by GaSouthernPeach at 8:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Replace your missing/minimal closet space with dressers and get those rolling drawers that go under the beds. See if you can put shelves in the kids' closet for toys. Make sure the bathroom lock is functioning properly lol And just learn to live in clutter for a while.

I have a family of 6 (hubby, me, 10 yr old, 6 yr old, 5 yr old, & 22 mo old) living in a 1200 sqft trailer. Clutter is my middle-name.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Well you are going to have to downsize big time! If you are truly going to be saving money, then sell everything that you can't keep with you at the house and save as much money as you can after you pay off your debt. When your husband gets back and you guys are ready to move you should have a good amount saved and can replace what you got rid of. If I can recommend a book to you....The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would first go through my home and decide what I need to take and what I didn't. You really don't need to take a living room and dining room set and a whole bunch of other furnishings and knicknacks. Pack them up and put them into storage. I know, another bill, but well worth it.
    Have the movers pack what is left for your move. When you get there, try to condense whatever you can - you don't need to have a whole lot of personal items at someone else's home.
    Purchase one of those hanging "closets" on wheels to hang clothes and minimize what you need in the bathroom. In fact, place your bath items in a carry bin so you can carry it back and forth with you between the bathroom and bedroom.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You didn't say how many years you will be stationed overseas and how long you will be living with your friend as a Nanny. If it is the whole time you are stationed there then look at my suggestion above. If it is short term and you are going to get your own home while stationed there, then have the movers pack everything you own and then place what you don't need into storage over there.
    Best wishes and have a smooth move!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I will be a nanny for the whole year that my husband is over seas (so give or take 12-18months honestly you know how military can be haha)
    We will be over seas for about three years

Our plan is to keep the storage unit that we have and store most of our crap (lol) in there. How ever I need to find out great hiding places for clothes for not only my self by the boys (night night clothes, school clothes, church clothes, play clothes, socks shoes, slippers...etc), our towels, my goodies and their goodies.

I have some good ideas on how to do the storage on some items.. it will be easier when he leaves - (we move there in Jan and he leaves in April) it will give me more room. But i also have to be comfortable where I stay. My girlfriend will be working at night and sleeping for the morning.

So i was just gathering info on how you guys use up all the space that you have.
    GaSouthernPeach

Answer by GaSouthernPeach at 12:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2008