how do i know if enough foreskin was removed during my son's circumcision?

there is still foreskin that could be pushed back when i go to clean him up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My best advice is to check first my doing a self check. Our going to the doctors and finding out that way
    Marissa2106

Answer by Marissa2106 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I had that done to my son and OMG I was scared, I remember the first time I saw it after they did it I thought to myself what did I do. But at the end it was o.k. I clean him like it was his belly button, just be careful.
    villafana

Answer by villafana at 11:34 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My son is the same way. His doctor said that every circumcision is different and some doctors remove more skin than others. As your son grows the skin will be less and less "loose" over the head of the penis and everything will be fine :)
    adeuslove07

Answer by adeuslove07 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I was comcerned that the doc didn't do the circ right either on my son because I still have to push back the skin to clean him. The ped said it looks just fine & that the reason a lot of docs leave what seems to be a lot of skin is because there could be problems if they take too much. As he grows it will "tighten up" she said.
    megs1228

Answer by megs1228 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It is impossible to know what the "right" amount of foreskin to remove is for infants. The doctor can only guess. If too much is removed, there will not be enough skin for him to grow into when he is older and he could have erection problems (shortened, tight, painful, and/or crooked erections). Many doctors now do a looser circumcision to prevent future problems. If a lot is left, there is a higher chance of adhesion and it might look "not right".
    sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 7:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I wish none of you and myself had done the "ROUTINE" circumcision. Do yourself and your son a favor and make an informed decision, you do have an option. I was to young to know any different, or to even know that some people don't do it. Many in fact. It has become 'routine' in our society, it is NOT a necessity. My SO is British and most Europeans don't circumcise. He has explained a lot to me and I wished I had never done it now. Who cares how it looks? Come on. It's never been an attractive part of the anatomy, for the most part it is not seen, and a circumcision just desensitizes a man, The foreskin was put there for a reason, for protection. We do it for our own ease of hygiene, not a medical issue. New moms I implore you to please investigate and make an informed decision, don't do it because 'most' do.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 8:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• If they take too much then when an erection occurs it can be painful and cause a crooked penis.....if they take to little it can become re adhered to the penis head and cause pain and issues......I just say leave the little guys alone....God made it like that for a reason...who am I to say I know better...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2008