Nonstop coughing/Reactive airway disease?

my daughter has been coughing so much for the last two weeks that it went into the croup....It was treated with a steriod and breathing treatments then she just kept a cough ive tried everything from breathing treatments..steriods...antibiotic..over the counter cough med and prescribed cough med she takes singulair and cintirzent for "allerghy" like symptoms last night i took her to the ER and they said she had Reactive airway disease....Has anyone else been through this with their child if so what did you do for treatment

WvMommyof3

Asked by WvMommyof3 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• You should talk to your pedi and maybe go see a pulmonologist. I know how to treat astma, but not RAD.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• "Sometimes the terms "reactive airway disease" and "asthma" are used interchangeably. However, they're not necessarily the same thing.

Reactive airway disease is a general term that doesn't indicate a specific diagnosis. It may be used to describe a history of coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath of unknown cause. These signs and symptoms may or may not be caused by asthma.
    My son is also going through the same thing for about a year now. He is the only one who keeps getting these wheezy croup coughs that turn into like a bronchitis and he does get a fever. He is not even in school now ( homeschool) and still getting them. Even my 3 year old does not catch it. I feel like there is something else going on for sure. The pedi never really went intot he whole RAD thing either.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sorry part of my post got cut off. What I was saying was also we just had some xrays done looking for problems ( probably pneumonia/bronchitis) due to my son being sick again and RAD came up, but we never got more info. I agree with the pp get some more info and possibly a referral if they feel necessary.

For us we thought it was due to his undiagnosed food allergies, but now it's back so I think something else is going on, since it's only him with the same exact "illness" over and over again.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Grrr I hate the word limit !!!

Anyway the first bit of info I copied from online, not from me.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008