• In the Spotlight:

Is this a little bit wacked??

my ex husband is on his 3rd marriage. with our 2 boys he now has an additional 4 stepchildren. he refers to them as the boys siblings. the boys are not allowed to use the word "step" and can only call them their brothers and sisters. Ok---is that weird?? a sibling is of blood relation. why would he be doing this and making the boys do this? is it a mental thing with him to have to use the word "step"?

kscmbz

Asked by kscmbz at 9:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think thats something the kids need to decided... if they want to call them brothers or sisters without the step... then that wonderful... if they want to stay step then thats wonderful to. I don't think they should be told to call them one or the other. I grew up with steps and has and step mom and step dads... on and off... and I called them what I wanted and when I wanted... just because I call my half sisters my halfs instead of my sister or half brother instead of brother... doesn't mean they are any less of my family... its just what I pick to call them because they are my dads kids... not my moms.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:18 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't see why it matters - blood or not . I call my step siblings my brother and sister .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Depending on how long they've been together, maybe, maybe not.
    I remember I called my sister (step sister) my step sister for a few years,t hen she just turned into my sister. heh.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• lots of people think of "step children" in more of an outcast view point. Think of Cinderella and her ugly step sisters. Maybe your husband would just like to see them treat each other as real siblings instead of just "oh he's just my stepbrother" kind of thing.
    Anonymous

• I think the kids should be allowed to call them whatever they see them as. Maybe his new wife wants it that way and she has your ex tell the kids to say that.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't see how it matters either way. Who cares if they call each other brother. My son calls his step-brothers his brothers. We don't have any problem with that.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• BTW... can we say dads got control issues LOL
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My daughter calls her step-brother her brother too. If that's the way my ex wants to run things in his house, that's his business. It's not doing any harm to the kids, so I've got no business having an issue with it. I divorced him so his issues wouldn't be my issues anymore, why would I turn around and take them on again?
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I so agree with you desert diva. It isn't my issue but our 2 boys do not like to refer to them as their bros/sisters. It bothers them to have to call them their siblings. What my ex does in his home does not matter to me, but when it comes to my boys, they should have a say I believe.

And yeah dtetz.....he has more than control issues!!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:28 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I use the word step when referring to my stepsiblings, but we were all grown adults and out of the house when our parents married. my best friend calls her stepsiblings just brother and sister because she grew up with them. I don't think theres anything wrong with either way, and they should be allowed to refer to them as they feel most comfortable.
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008