My baby still wont sleep at night

hes 5 months old.Its pure torchure.My first son was 6 wks when he slept at night.My second born has had issue gaining weight but has been doing great gaining for about 3-4 weeks now (like 1 lb in 2 wks)so Id think he would sleep better.Oh and please dont suggest cereal lol Ive beent here!He gets 4 tbs of cereal a day!Ive been so scraed to let him cio because he wasnt gaining but now hes gaining and Im still a little leary.

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in my opinion... 5months is too young to cio. have you tried white noise? my 20month old still sleeps to it every night.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yeah, don't CIO. I think it's mean to do that. Try putting a fan on to sooth him. The noise.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son turned 2 in Oct and STILL doesn't sleep thru the night. And heck...my nephew is 3 and is JUST starting to sleep thru the night. Unfortunately, some just happen to do it quicker than others. =( Hopefully, yours will start to sleep thru the night soon for ya. Def try the white noise...that sometimes helps...GL.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Your not alone Chrystal. Tyler slept 8 hours a night by 6 wks and by 2 mo was sleeping 12 hour stretches. Luke on the other hand gets up anywhere frmo 1-4 times a night and is also 5 mo. I wish I could help, but Im in the same boat.

As for CIO, I definately thnk they are too young for that. CIO has also been shown to increase the stress hormone that their brain gives out and can cause brain damage.
    mysonismyjoy

Answer by mysonismyjoy at 9:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I am one of those lucky moms--by 6 weeks we were sleeping 8 hours and by 2 months 12. I do however believe in CIO. We used it when we took a paci away at 5 mo. But if the baby is hungry then feed them. Some just don't sleep through until they are a lot older. Good Luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My son also is not yet sleeping thru the night whereas my daughter did within weeks of coming home. My son is now 4 1/2 months old and tends to wake up at about midnight, 4:30 am, and then again at around 7:30 am. Since I can't quite get him to sleep thru the night, I just help to get him back to sleep quicker. We keep a ready made bottle handy for fast feeding and when he wakes up, the first thing I do is change his diaper, then cuddle and feed him, and usually I can pull the bottle after an ounce or so. I leave only a night light on and gently put him in his bed where he soothes himself to sleep. Now my nightly wakes with my son last only 10 minutes or so when before they would easily be 30-40 minutes. Just try new things but definately keep the lights down so you dont give him the idea that its time to wake up. I think they get use to the routine.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• At five months, I'd expect what you're seeing. Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Sleeping through a whole night is a nice thing to happen during year one...it often doesn't, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:15 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• As you've no doubt discovered, cereal in a bottle is a myth.

My daughter didn't sleep through the night, bedtime to morning, until 10 months. I tried everything - swaddling made her scream, "The No Cry Sleep Solution" made things worse, car rides, rocking, nothing worked! I finally tried "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and that's what worked. It really depends on the child. Sorry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i too have trouble putting my lil one to sleep shes 9 mths and she has the oddest hrs she usually falls asleep for the night or should i say morning at about 1-2 am if she falls asleep earlier than that like 8 shes awake and ready to play by midnight ive tried keeping patterns ive tried feeding down ive tried soothing baths ive even tried the tiring her out and exhausting her nothing yet until that time and then she wont wake up til about noon and by that point i feel so bad that she hasnt gotten enough sleep i dont want to wake her im at a loss all i can do is hope its a phase and that itll get better lots of luck to u
    m.wallace

Answer by m.wallace at 2:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2008