Vaccine question - what is your opinion?

Would you get your daughter or yourself Gardasil? There have been reported 8,000 adverse reactions and atleast 21 deaths. It was only released in 2006. Did you know about the high rates of adverse reactions/deaths until now?

Autumn22

Asked by Autumn22 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• No. I would not. My dd is 14 and interestingly this has nothing to do with premarital sex at all. Not for me anyway. I am more concerned with the side effects and lack of study on the part of Merck to vaccinate my daughter. There are many strains of HPV and only a few that SOMETIMES cause cervical cancer. In my opinion, its just a shot in the dark ( no pun intended). As far as the sexual nature goes, kids sometimes do what we don't even want to think about regardless of what they have been taught. I am not oblivious to that, but I still believe that the risks of this shot far outweigh the risks of sex . We don't vaccinate anymore anyway, but at this point its just the boosters we have denied.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Absolutely not! I will not give my DD's or myself or my SO any vaccinations!!! They are by far more worse than any disease they might get! I don't even do the flu shot. My 8 yr olds entire class including the teacher and the substitute got the flu - except my DD! She had to join the 3rd grade class for 2 days b/c she was the only one not sick! Same thing with Christmas. My SO's entire family is sick - everyone but us. They all got the flu shot - we didn't. One of his brothers is in the hospital b/c he is so sick!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would never get it for myself or my daughter. I have a strain of HPV already and I'm with the same guy I've been with for 7 years. There's no need for me to get the vaccine. It's absolutely uneccessary IMO.

I also don't like the new vaccine for Meningitis.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Babylove - We don't get any vaccines either. :) My baby actually got the flu when she was 7 months old last feb. Myself and my husband had it too. My husband was vomiting and very sick. He was vaccinated as a kid. I got sick, I don't think I threw up. I was vaccinated as a kid. My baby, who has never recieved a vaccine, only had a mild fever the whole time!!! She was smiling her way right through it. And yes, I do know that it was the flu type B. She had a nose swab. No meds either. :) Vaccines didn't damage her immune system so she fought it off beautifully.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• WE do vaccines, I am very picky about the ones that I let her get. She does get the ones that I think are necessary, like DtaP and polio, but rotavirus and prevnar I believe are not really needed. I would not get the Gardasil or have my child get it I don't believe that it is needed. And no I wasn't aware of the high rates of death since its release. Thanks for the info.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I went back and forth about it. I did allow one. When I read those things you are referring to, I decided not to have the last two given. My 16 yo knows she will have to get it at 18. If she is thinking she really wants it now, I will give my permission. I am a nurse and despite that it is impossible to make a decision and feel comfortable. Sure, based on the commercials and your doctor just recommending it because its recommended by the CDC, but it doesn't look safe, does it? Also, it covers only certain strains and then you may never develope the cervical cancer anyway. I don't think we are getting a straight answer here. It is like nobody wants to say don't take it. I hope they aren't going to be bringing more of these types of vaccines into the market place.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• coala - Not too many people do know about this. It's sad. So many women are getting this and have severe reactions to it. I think the media should cover it!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY NOT! I refuse to encourage premarital sex.

Would I buy my girls condoms? No.

Would I buy then alcohol? No.

Would I buy them cigarettes? No.

Same reasons.

We do most of the normal vaccines w/ the exception of HepA, HepB, chicken pox, and whatever the new oral vaccine is for babies. Rrrrrr.....something. It starts with an R. Lol.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I quit vaxxing when 2 of my children had reactions to them, and then I began to research....no way!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No! My doctor offered it to me and I said NO! It has been out in England for years and isn't even recommended there. It is because the vaccine only last FIVE years and there is no booster. Plus it can cause death, sterilization, etc.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2008