How old should my daughter be before potty training?

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 9:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• /wait until she shows signs of being ready. I wouldn't push it b/c it just becomes a power struggle. Girls are usually ready between 18 and 24 months. Signs of being ready would be interest in the potty like when you or daddy go to the potty.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Thank u I was asking becasue she is started to let me know when she dirties a diaper.. She is 17 months old
    TaylorBuz

Answer by TaylorBuz at 9:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• There is a big difference between "Mommy, my diaper is wet" and "Mommy, I have to go". Even a brand new baby doesn't like a wet or dirty diaper. They just scream instead of saying so.

Truly, you can start now or you can wait. How do you choose? Keep this in mind, children will fully take over the "potty process", stopping play, going to the bathroom, working their own clothes, etc, when they are ready. So, if she will be ready at 30 months and you start at 27 months, you will be training for 3 months. If you start now, you will be training for 13 months. Your choice.

I'd suggest you get a good potty training book and read the early "getting ready" chapters. I liked "The No Cry Potty Training Solution".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You will know when she is ready, look for these clues, telling you they need to be changed,not wanting to wear a diaper, pulling and or tugging on the diaper, showing intrest in the potty. With both of my girls they where both different. At 2 I bought them a potty, and they each showed intrest in the potty. Get her a specail book that she can look at while she is on the potty. With my first daughter, I bought her panties and she had a few accident, that is to be expected, within a week she was potty trained. My second daughter I did the same thing, but she would continue to pee and poop in her panites. So she was naked all day, for a week and she finailly pretty much potty trained her self. My mom told me the best time to potty train in the spring in fall.
    Lindsey24

Answer by Lindsey24 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Most kids are show signs of true interest or readiness around 2.5 - 3 years old. Boys are usually later. I bought the kid potty at 2 years old and let her play around on it but didnt' make a big deal about it. Around 2.5 we started hanging out with more and more kids who were potty trained. Take your time and don't push it, your child will absolutely let you know when she/he is ready. Doing it too early could work against you.
    maddysmomma

Answer by maddysmomma at 12:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Again, Kaycee is right on. A lot of people think that because they are starting early, they will be finished early. Not so. It just takes you longer to get to the same place. All kids have a maturity progress that can be factored in while PT. My oldest was 22 mos. She was speaking full sentences and told me straight up that she had to go to the potty. The middle two were about 3 and the last one..well, hes 2 1/2 (april b day) and I was going to wait until he was 3 to even attempt it. He has done a lot of it by himself by just watching everyone else. HE does NOT speak in sentences. Only 2 -3 word phrases and will only occasionally choose to go. I figure by the time hes 3, he will have decided he wants to go. I know that it will be done at some point, so I don't fret over it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2008