when did you find out you had to have a c section?

i've been told by other gyns in the past that i was too small to deliver naturally. my current gyn wants me tot try and go naturally but sadi it would be easier to tell when im about 6 or 7 months. im 24 weeks now and i go to the dr on the 8th. is it too soon ot ask i have relatives that want to be there for the birth

AngelMommy2009

Asked by AngelMommy2009 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i found out i had to have a c-section 15 mins before i had one. i planned all natural water birth. i went to 42 weeks and needed to be induced i never dilated and my baby ended up being 11 lbs. i know many " small" women who gave birth naturally, c-section is easier for dr than waiting around for you to go naturally. they can't predict now what will happen then. i say you try up until there is no possible way if it came to that
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• a few weeks before i was due. my daughter was a footling breech. but if you're asking because you're worried, don't be. you're more likely to be able to have a natural birth, and even if you can't, medicine is amazing these days.
    kat4jc

Answer by kat4jc at 9:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You are not too small to have your baby. Ultrasounds are notoriously wrong in that area. Ask your doc what their percentage of C-section is compared to their rate of vaginal birth before you sign off to have one. The overall rate in the US (which is high according to the world health organization which says it should be 8%) is hovering around 33%. The doc,not you, takes less risk when you agree to have a section. The reason...you are signing away his/her liability if something goes wrong. You are saying that they are not responsible and if something does go wrong it will be very hard for you to sue. The risk factors are all on you when a section occurs. Much higher risk for infection, that they will cut something they shouldn't cut, or other things. They should only be done in emergency situations. Find a doc with a reasonable Cesarean rate.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 9:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• With the first, it was about 10 minutes before I went in for it. I was very sick and we both could have died without it. With the second, she was planned but we wound up delivering about 2 weeks before the scheduled one because my BP wouldn't go back into the safe zone. My sister had one after more than 12 hours of labor (induced at 42 weeks) because she was stuck at abour 2-3 cm for more than 6 hours and the baby was in distress.

Wait and see what happens, c-sections are not fun or easy. I doubt you will feel like seeing anyone right after anyway. You or your hubby can call them after the baby is born and they can come see you once you are home.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• About 23 hours into my 24 hour labor. I was already a day shy of 2 weeks overdue, just wasn't getting past 1/2 cm, I'd had broken waters for 21 hours and in the 24th hour I had several huge fluid gushes and there was meconium in my fluid. At first it wasn't really an emergency c-section situation and the nurses were taking their time prepping me, but after awhile my son's heart rate went way down and wouldn't come up and I was in the OR so fast and he was out in 2 minutes... before I even had any clue the doctor had made the incision!

My next two were scheduled c-sections after I ended up finding the reason for my lack of dilation/progression with my oldest... I have thick cervical scarring from my first pregnancy, which ended in a missed miscarriage and uterine infection. I'd never had a 20 week u/s while pregnant with my oldest son, so it wasn't caught... until I was in labor...
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:19 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i had an emergency c-section..... so it was deff. unexpected....
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 11:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2008