What soothes an infant's sore throat?

My five month old has a bad cough and we are not even in the same state as his doctor. I have been giving him medicine and it's getting better but his throat still hurts and it's just started to effect his food intake. It is obvious that it hurts to swallow. I have also been using Vicks and a humidifier in addition to my hot, steamy baths. I have even been using Vapor Bath Body Wash when I bathe him. Please help! I hate that he is sick and I feel so helpless. I need help only for his sore throat.

Moni.ME

Asked by Moni.ME at 9:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• If he is having trouble swallowing he needs to see a doctor. Other than that I'm not really sure what you can do for a 5 months old. Sorry, I hope he feels better soon!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I agree, he needs to be scene by his Dr, or take him to the ER. He might have strep or need antibatics.
    Lindsey24

Answer by Lindsey24 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Breast milk :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Get him to the Dr. right away even if you have to go to an ER. At 5 months, they need to be seen to make sure it isn't more than just a virus. If the Dr. says it is just a virus, go and get some Tea Tree Oil at a health food store. Use that instead of vicks. You can put this oil in the humidifier and also rub it on the bottom of his feet and on his chest. Do not let him touch his skin with his hands 'cuz you do not want the oil to get into his eyes. If it does, it will burn his eyes. Tea Tree Oil is natural and will not cause side effects and is much safer than using Vicks vabor rub.
    You are doing the right thing with the steamy baths to loosen the congestion.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 7:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008