My 4 year daughter chews on EVERYTHING!

We're always finding our daughter chewing on something that doesn't belong in the mouth, especially her toys. No amount of taking toys away, discipline and finally we've finally made her throw away toys she chews on. But we still find her doing it all the time. HELP!!

SusieQ5782

Asked by SusieQ5782 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son did this for a while and I ended up giving him a washcloth for him to chew on. He called it his "chewie" and he'd chew on it rather than his toys or fingernails. Yes, it was disgusting at the end of the day because it was soaked, but it did the trick.

Best of luck!
    heather__

Answer by heather__ at 10:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• You could try giving her vinegar on the tip of her tongue when she does it. It tastes bad, but it obviously won't hurt her. It also works for lying, talking back, ect. The worse that could happen is it either wouldn't work or she would like the taste of it.
    mommy485

Answer by mommy485 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Children who chew things often have trace mineral deficiencies. A health food store owner should be able to help you find a good colloidal supplement that can be given daily to help with this - and stop the chewing. My daughter was a chewer and she stopped in less than a week of adding the minerals. Now she asks for the minerals if we miss a day here or there. She realizes she doesn't feel as well without them.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• thank you all for your suggestions, i think i'll try them all! hopefully one of them works!
    SusieQ5782

Answer by SusieQ5782 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008