Help -- my 4 year old is puking, but only at night!

I fully intend on talking to my son's doctor in the morning, but I was hoping for some insight...

My son has been puking every night for the past week. It's only at night, not during naptime. During the day he is perfectly fine. I haven't changed anything to induce the puking. I've done everything I know to help prevent it -- raising his headboard to elevate him while he sleeps, following a BRAT diet, not feeding him 3-4 hours prior to bedtime, and OTC antacids. Nothing has worked.

For what it's worth, he did have reflux as an infant and I was told he'd likely outgrow it by age one. We still had rounds with his reflux prior to the recent puking at night incidents, but they were easy to manage. I cannot seem to manage the puking at night.

I'm very worried for him...

heather__

Asked by heather__ at 9:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No idea mama good luck tomorrow...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:01 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Could it be anxiety of going to sleep in his own bed by himself...possibly the dark? There might be a reason why he is all of a sudden afraid....when children are anxious they can show through physical symptoms such as vomiting. I wish you the best and hope your son is better soon.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:21 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• In response to Southerncharmes:
    My son has been sleeping alone since birth, so I doubt anxiety would play a role in the puking nearly five years later. He also sleeps with a nightlight, so the dark shouldn't be an issue, either.

On a good note, he actually made it to the toilet tonight (with my help) so no washing pukey laundry till one in the morning...
    heather__

Answer by heather__ at 10:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Not sure if this will be helpful. My daughter seems to have a lot of mucus build up lately and she has an extremely sensitive gag reflex. At night when she is propped up it's usually draining down the back of her throat ( sorry to be so graphic ) but it makes her gag and once she starts gagging it's all over from there. We started putting a cold water vaporizer in her bedroom at night and started her on zyrtec ( with drs approval). I would definitely see the Dr if this continues for his health and your sanity. Good Luck.
    maddysmomma

Answer by maddysmomma at 12:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Although it seems illogical to us, I agree this may be anxiety. If not, naptimes would involve the same thing because he's in the same position and his stomache doesn't know one hour from another. My 8yo DD throws up with anxiety - and from the strangest things. She even knows they aren't logical to be concerned over, yet still at times it gets her. Dr said it's part of them learning to cope with things at different stages, and that for some reason these seemingly normal things that she always dealt with fine before suddenly bother her. He encouraged me to ask her questions and help her talk out what she's thinking. It's helped. We curbed a vomiting attack just last night this way.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• maybe he is scared of bedtime because he doesn't like his dreams
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2008