Has anyone else noticed that the media doesn't seem to care about the Iraq war anymore?

Whatever happened to coverage of the war in the media? The daily reports of body counts, now - nobody cares? I guess the media was using it as propaganda to help their party win the election. Remember the homeless? Used as an issue for the Clinton/Bush 41 election? No longer an issue. Katrina victims? programmed to believe their hurricaine circumstances were Bush's fault? (where was the investigation into democrat Mayor Nagin and democrat governor's lack of ability/intelligence/drive or desire to help the victims of that horrific circumstance?) No, the media is now consumed with their love affair with Obama, convincing people they should fear global warming; to detract attn. from investigating worthy issues like how the senate seat in Chicago is divied out? Does anyone else see that the media is manipulating the country with propaganda to help one group? Is it right? Fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Not in Alaska.
    Both wars are in news. They show all kind of news about military, deploing and when they come back or when somebody gets killed.
    Stories about Sudan/Darfur refugees starting their life over in Alaska.
    Today was news story about how people can help homeless people to get to the shelters .It's very cold .
    I don't see any kind of "love 'affair with Obama. What one group are you talking about????
    Anonymous

• I don't know what media you're watching or listening to. But I work for an National Public Radio station, and ALL of those subjects have been constantly on our air.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm starting to think I'll move to Alaska... Did you see 60 Minutes tonight??? The entire hour was devoted to adoring Obama. If you don't see it up there, you're lucky, cause it's all over the news down here, I'm in Michigan, it's cold here too. But, I'm referring to CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNBC, etc. I have not seen one single story about what is happening in Iraq; a sure sign to me that things are going well. We only hear when things are bad. The one group that I'm referring to is, of course, the democrats. You of all people should be aware of the bias in the media; look at what they did to your governor Palin? They incorrectly bashed her and characterized her as uninformed or unintelligent and incapable of being vice- president. Did you agree with how the media treated her? And of course, the masses just believe whatever they hear, accept the programming. You don't see it???
    Anonymous

• You work for NPR? You're part of the problem. Do you feel your station is unfairly critical of conservatives? Be honest, please.
    Anonymous

• I don't watch the media anymore, partially because of that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:03 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Honestly? No, I don't think the station is unfairly critical of conservatives at all. In fact, NPR bends over backwards to give conservatives a break. I live in one of the most conservative sections of Southern California, and we really haven't been criticized for being unfair.

My job as a journalist is to report the facts, plain and simple, no spin. If anything, I've personally been criticized for being too conservative in some of my coverage. Which is pretty funny for a card-carrying, lifelong Democrat. (A former boss once expressed surprise that I am a Democrat. "I thought you were one of us!" he said, meaning Republicans.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• One other thought. A lot of people complained when the media did a lot of coverage of Iraq, because they thought the body count was bad for morale. (I spent ten minutes being yelled at by a caller over this once.)

If you're curious, here's the latest body count story from the Associated Press:

As of Sunday, Dec. 28, 2008, at least 4,219 members of the U.S. military had died in the Iraq war since it began in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

The figure includes eight military civilians killed in action. At least 3,398 military personnel died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers.

The AP count is five higher than the Defense Department's tally, last updated Wednesday at 10 a.m. EST.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• AP's 18th NewsMinute tonight includes this mention from Iraq:

BAGHDAD (AP) — In Iraq, a bicycle-riding suicide bomber has blown himself up amid a mass rally against Israel's airstrikes. A police officer says one other person was killed, 16 people were wounded in the attack in Mosul. Also, a U.S. soldier has been killed by a roadside bomb in a Shiite slum in Baghdad.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• to the OP I don't know where you live but here Iraq is in the news everyday and if you as much as read yahoo or msn news is there on a daily basis as well. I volunteer at a homeless shelter so for me they are always in the news. FEMA is a federal agency not control by local government and their response or lack there of was what was critized. Sorry to disappoinbt you but Obama didn't have anything to do with what hapened in Chicago and I see that on the news on a daily basis as well. I have not heard anything on global warming except on line. So at least here it's totally the opposite of everything you mention.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:49 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• At this point the news and the media are so easily accessible it is what you make of it. If you look for the news on the war, you can find it. If you look for the news on the homeless you can find it. If all you want to know about is what crazy thing Paris Hilton did last weekend then that's all you will find. Maybe you need to broaden your scope of news and actually try to find that info rather than just sitting around complaining. It's out there.

And I also think NPR does a fantastic job of staying unbiased when you listen to their news programs. If you don't think so, you're not listening.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008