Do You Believe in Disciplining your child?

I mean do you believe in whooping (NOT beating, there's a difference) your child. Or would you just sit them in time-out, take away things, or put them in a corner.

MommyRinda

Asked by MommyRinda at 11:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Sometimes that is the only way to get through to my DD. I use it as a last resort but she straightens up real quick when she knows I am out of choices.
    CrazySingleMom

Answer by CrazySingleMom at 11:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• I spank as a last resort, but my girls are 10 and spanking is not really affective. I ground and take away privileges and talk to them about their choices. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• often I think time outs and taking things away is more effective.....
    serenityspeaks

Answer by serenityspeaks at 11:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• While I am a pro-spanker, the other things you listed as well as many other things are forms of discipline. Many children respond very well to time outs. It doesn't mean that their parents are disciplining them.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• My children respond most to taking away priveleges or time outs.
    misanthropic

Answer by misanthropic at 11:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• I definitely believe in disciplining my children, but I have chosen not to spank. So far we've done fine without spanking. The kids are 9, 7, and 4 and are all good kids- they respond fine to verbal discipline (ie. me telling them to cut it out!) or removal of privileges for more major infractions. The only times I've really wanted to spank was because I was angry, not because I thought it would be the most effective thing to do, and I don't think that's the right way to apply discipline.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2011

• *aren't
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:10 AM on Aug. 28, 2011

• i really dont spank unless it is something really bad or nothing else works my daughter never gets spanked her grandma dosent allow it lol so she isnt abused i believe in showing whats right and wrong
    boogsmom2011

Answer by boogsmom2011 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I do not inflict physical pain on my children. I hated being hit, both as a child and as a wife (ex), and I would not cause other to suffer the same way. Going to bed early is a magical thing in this house; the threat of that happening will cause them both to take note that I'm at the end of my patience.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:44 AM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I do not strike my children. That is not discipline in my eyes, it is abuse. There are many other ways that are effective when it comes to disciplining your children. I believe many parents only do it because it is how they were raised so they believe it is alright. I believe 100 yrs ago it was alright to beat your wife into submission but we have all learned better than that. I look forward to the days when we as a society understand it is not alright to hit a child to get them to submit to our wishes.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Aug. 28, 2011