when did you stop breastfeeding?

My daughter just turned 1 and is still nursing. I am a teacher and have been pumping twice a day at work, and am tired of it. Could I just nurse her morning and night and not send bottles with her to the sitter?

MorgansMom

Asked by MorgansMom at 10:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes you certainly can. Most people quit around one year. You can do it longer if you want to. Don't stress over it. She will be fine. Your breast may be sore for a few days b/c you will no longer be emptying them regularly like you were. Good luck. She is ready for whole milk now. NO WORRIES she will be fine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:27 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I stopped at 10 1/2 months but not because I wanted to. My son weaned himself suddenly for whatever reason and would never start again. He just turned 1 a week ago. I've been pumping and giving him formula too (due to low supplies). I think I'm going to stop pumping or slow way down too. If he were still actively nursing, I'd do it longer, but he's not. Good luck to you!
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 10:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Yes, you can drop the pumping. I did at one year and nursed to 26 months.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:46 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I'm a teacher too and stopped pumping when he started on cow's milk. He nurses morning and night and I never pump anymore. I don't get engorged or uncomfortable unless we skip a few nursing in a row. Way to go!  Pumping at school is a huge hassle. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• i rarely pumped. I'm still nursing. my daughter is 16 months. I'm ready to wean just not up for the hassle.
    PrincessKim76

Answer by PrincessKim76 at 8:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes, your body will absolutely accomodate! It's a supply and demand type of thing. I nursed until my son was 20mo. but didn't have to cut out any nursing sessions b/c he did that for me one at a time until he self weaned :(

I admit I wasn't ready...haha!
    MasonsMommy1707

Answer by MasonsMommy1707 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yep....you can nurse when you want to nurse once they are able to and accept cow milk. I would continue to pump until you finish the transition to the cow milk if that has not happened already.

I pumped until 13 months and then packed that baby away. We are still nursing away at almost 23 months (with no end in sight).

WTG mama!
    RFW

Answer by RFW at 9:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yup, you can do that. I stopped pumping when DD was about 1, and her papa just feeds her solids, and cows milk, or formula on occasion when she really wanted a bottle. Now at 18 months she still nurses when I am home, and just eats solids when am gone.

When you first test this out, I say have some BM available incase baby really decides he's not going for it, lol. Good luck!!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my daughter stopped nursing at 4 mths and i just started giving her formula. I think a good time to stop is when they get teeth.
    SessyM

Answer by SessyM at 10:39 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

My nephew had his first tooth break through at 5 days....good time to stop?
    I would drop the pumping honestly. baby can nurse when with you.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008