What age is the right time to take your child to see the dentist for the 1st time?

Dentist time

bkmom718

Asked by bkmom718 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doctor told me at the age of 2. Now mind you, you can start "playing" dentist. That is what we do with our daughter every night before bed and while she is in the bath tub. We first act like we are brushing my teeth, and then we do her and she thinks it is fun! This will help her get ready for the real deal!!
    sarah.south33

Answer by sarah.south33 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Some dentists say to go when they get their first couple of teeth,, but definitely go when they turn 1 year old.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I started mine at age one and they've gone back for cleanings every 6 months.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When my oldest kids were small I had heard anywhere from 2yrs - 4 yrs. I have 2 year old twins now and I was told by the dentist that it had changed to 1 year. Mind you they don't do a whole lot at that visit (a little cleaning and some fluoride), but I have to say the girls did real well. My girls have been to the dentist twice so far and they just turned 2 in March. I have heard many different things, but I just go by what their dentist says.
    leshee

Answer by leshee at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Some dentists won't see children until they are at least 2 but doctors have suggested taking them as soon as they start to get their teeth in.
    TattooedBeauty

Answer by TattooedBeauty at 2:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was told by my dentists that when the get there 1 8 teeth especally if you have a history of dental problems in the family.
    raelove81

Answer by raelove81 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• at the eruption of the first tooth, then every 6 months after that. that is what the doctor, heath nurses, and dentists all say here. back when my oldest was little it was at 2 and decay had set in already.
    erins2ndbaby

Answer by erins2ndbaby at 2:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Hi! Kevin is 15 months and we have our first appr. next week. He already has a mouth full of teeth! Should be interesting!
    kathyjul

Answer by kathyjul at 2:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i had just asked my dr that and she told me you can bring them at 1 but most won't see them till their 2
    prettyeyes412

Answer by prettyeyes412 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i asked my dr and he said not before 2 but i can't find a dentist in my area that will take them before 3 even the dentist that specialize in children
    jennipher_z

Answer by jennipher_z at 9:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008