How do I save money at the grocery store?

I have a family of 4. Me, my boyfriend, a 13 year old boy, and a toddler. I spend 200+ $$$ at the store per week!!!!! How much should I be spending? I work 5 days a week m-f , 7am-6pm and my boyfriend works Friday, Sat, sun 12 hours a day. We don't have time to prepare meals from scratch. I use the microwave often!!!

rmconde

Asked by rmconde at 10:39 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Money & Work

• I would try to buy less prepared foods and make some casseroles that you can reheat during the week. I did this before and I was able to feed 4 people on 150 a month. If you make a few on Sat or Sun then they will be good for the week. Good luck. Also try buying store brand items instead of name brands.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• We are a family of five and spend less than $300 per month. I use my crock pot a lot. :) I am a stay at home mom and still love to use it!! I do coupons to save extra money, write a menu or meal ideas for the month. I make sure I have what I need so I do not have to take lots of extra trips because that is what cost the most money.

Some people plan the meals around what is on sale, I do not do that. If ya have any more questions feel free to ask!
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I go online and make a grocery list from the stores circular. We save at least $50 a week by buying stuff on sale, especially 2 for 1 stuff.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Okay girl, this is my specialty. You buy lots of pasta, rice included. You buy meat, spaghetti sauces, alfredo sauces, cheese, etc... Throw in some cream soups, mix and match and you have tons of meals. Also buy some eggs and bread and have scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, fried eggs, etc...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• In addition to the previous posts, I would be cutting coupons from your Sunday newspaper...the paper costs less than $2.00, and you can save MUCH more than that! Buy store brand items when the ingredients will be mixed together...like herbs/spices, sauces. Buy in bulk, divide, store in ziploc bags and freeze the remainder. Get a FREE grocery store savings card. Buy items on sale. The more conscientious you are when shopping, the more savvy you'll become, and will learn when something is a REALLY good deal. My husband actually does the grocery shopping (I do most of the cooking), and our grocery stores keep a running tab of what we save over the course of a year. THIS YEAR we have saved over $2700.00!!! Of course, that doesn't include the fact that we no longer need diapers...yay!..and other items that quickly cut in to budgets!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:33 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• we buy stuff on sale, don't buy much junk and stay away from the frozen food isles. we do splurge on name brand sodas and chips, but will shop around and find the best deal.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We are a family of 5 and our grocery budget is $200/month. Please check out my blog where I regularly post about saving money, specially on groceries. I also post a lot of cheap recipes that are easy and that our family loves. HTH!

www.TodaysDailyDose.com - Just search by browsing the topics on the right hand side of the page.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Cut Coupons and checkout www.couponmom.com. This website is free and has saved me a ton of money on groceries!!
    Good Luck!
    MomsGoneGreen

Answer by MomsGoneGreen at 10:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I combine coupons with weekly sales - double coupons are the best sometimes the items come out free.
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 12:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Prepare meals with a slow cooker. That will help A LOT!!! Plus they will be healthier meals. Also coupons are good as well as writing a list and ONLY buy what's on the list. GOOD LUCK!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 4:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008