Does olive oil really work for an ear infection?

And if so, how much do I use? Will it clog up his ears? It seems like my son is getting another ear infection because he not sucking as hard when he nurses and hes tugging at his ears. I don't want to give him any more antibiotics if he doesn't really need them. Is there anything besides olive oil that might work better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It helps with the pain. Just feel the canal and plug it with a cotton ball. Make it lukewarm. I would also give some tylenol to help with the discomfort.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:45 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• My doc gave me some numbing drops to put in her ear. They really help. He said it is like orgel (SP)  but for the ears. He said to NEVER put cotton balls in her ears because this cause the bacterial to multiply. He said it was a breading ground. I don't know just thought I would pass it along. Call your doc and he will probably call you some out. They have some over the counter but they don't work as well.

jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 10:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I don't think the olive oil helps the infection it just eases the pain. My mom swears it helped me when I was little, but I've been scared to try it on my son. I'm afraid it might aggravate the infection.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I have never heard of using olive oil .. I use sweet oil a few drops in the ears and then rub a little below the ear. Works great for my kiddo
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 11:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• ... (a number of suggestions posted to the other ear infection question) ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ur supposed to use tree oil. mabe ur mom acidently said olive oil.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2008