My 11 month old won't sleep!!!

I have been breast feeding my daughter since birth, she is now 11 months old. The problem I have been having, well reallt since birth, is that she doesn't sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time, even at night. Her naps, or lack of them, aren't that great either. Some days she takes 2 one and half hour naps, other days she take just one nap, on the days she only takes one nap she is usually VERY irritable.I have tried everything that I know, have read and that has been suggested to me so far and nothing has worked. Her doctors are assure me that its a phase, but that's not the answer I'm looking for LOL. Is anyone else having or have had a similar situation? Please help, I'm exhausted and to make things worse I'm a student trying to get into nursing school so you can imagine my stress level from everything that is going on. I wil take any suggestions...Thanks!

lisap0919

Asked by lisap0919 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry, but your docs gave you the right and only answer. She has to outgrow this on her own. And the more you try to make her sleep, the more frustrated it will make you.

What you do: Keep daytime busy. Drop the naps, unless not napping makes her too miserable. Keep nighttime dark and wakeup time BRISK and BUSINESSLIKE.; Night wakings are for doing the business of feed, change, back to bed and nothing more. No singing, no cuddling, no fun.

Mine has never in his life slept for more than a couple of hours at a time. Nor have I in 48 years! But he learned to go back to sleep on his own at about two years.

Your survival mechanisms: Dump anything that doesn't NEED to be done. If it's not directly related to continued breathing, dump it. It'll wait. When you start school, breathing and continuing class is all you concern yourself with. That means LEAVE THE HOUSEWORK. Dad takes wakeup duty whenever he's there.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Have you thought about mixing breastmilk and rice cereal after a warm bath with Johnsons bedtime lavender baby soap...Should knock her right out..Mayve try rocking her to sleep...Bath-Feeding-Mommytime-Sleep..Works like a charm :)
    MommyFab4

Answer by MommyFab4 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• At 11 months, she's old enough to supplement with food. Have you tried feeding her baby food or baby oatmeal? Maybe she's just not getting full enough to want to sleep through? All of our kids slept really well when they had full tummies. Our youngest is almost 18 months, and we used to feed her baby oatmeal before bed to help her sleep through, because she'd always wake up hungry. The oatmeal was filling (and yummy to her), and it helped her stay asleep.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• MommyFab's advice is good... but be warned. Backfired miserably here. Cereal tends to make them wake MORE in my experience with literally thousands of breastfeeding moms.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Full tummies also can make them wake more... raises the blood sugar and when the blood sugar level plummets... it's like an alarm clock right in your ear. TRY it... but be aware that it too might not work.

Sleeping more is really up to them... nothing mom does makes a difference. They sleep more when THEY are ready to and what you do is coincidental.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Mommyfab4 thanks for your input but I have tried everything thing that you have suggested and nothing has worked so far :(
    lisap0919

Comment by lisap0919 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• laird6372 I'm starting to think that I just have to except her way of sleeping, even though I can probably land a lead roll in night of the zombies or something!
    I just got done reading this article online about how she could be waking up because she associated nursing with sleeping. It made sense, but I just don't understand how to break that with her. The article said that if your baby is used to falling asleep on you that you become their "pillow" so once you place them in their crib after a while they realize your not there causing them to wake up. That's exactly what Daniella (my baby) does! I nurse her in my bedroom, because that's where she sleeps, it's dark and I have the fan running for the white noise and I nurse her for about 20 min on one side or 15 on both sides and then I put her in her crib. Like clock work she is awak in exactly 2 hours and every 2 hours from the time she goes to bed until she is up in the am
    lisap0919

Comment by lisap0919 (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2011