Help! My 10 month old son hates getting his diaper changed and getting dressed! He tries to roll away (he's very strong!) and gets so angry that he cries! It's so frustrating trying to get him dressed and changed. Any suggestions to make this time easier on the both of us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Find something to distract him. Sing or talk to him or give him a toy.
    Anonymous

• find something to distract and pacify him.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:32 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• I would give my son my cell phone or something else he's usually not allowed to have. It worked most of the time. If he was extremely active to the point of throwing a fit, a swift smack on the butt let him know its time to get dressed. I didn't have to and wouldn't do it often, but IMO, they need to know when that kind of behavior is just not acceptable.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• It's a phase and will be over before you know it. My son did the same. Give him a toy to keep him occupied. I often gave mine another diaper. He was facinated with folding and unfolding it.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Maybe hang something on the cieling for him t look at? Or just change him on the floor or on a bed instead of the changing table so that if he does role he won't go anywhere. Is it possible that he's cold when you change him? it might help to put a small space heater near him for changing times. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Give him option of what he wants to wear. Place his clothes by the door tell him you are leaving and he has to get dress to go outside. My daughter went through that for about a month I found an item of clothing she liked which were jeans and bought a lot of them. Now she likes getting dress. Just don't let him see your frustration b/c he'll keep running away from you. hope all will be good.
    hallehazel

Answer by hallehazel at 12:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I give my 11 month old a toy, or bottle of lotion or something to hold and look at to get him to turn back around. It usually works momentarily so I can finish his diaper.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Pop his thigh and say "Be still" in a calm voice. He'll cry or throw a fit the first few times, but in a day or two will learn to be still. Or you can spend the next few yrs trying to distract him with some object he doesn't have any business having while you are trying to hold him still enough to dress and end up getting very angry because you know he's got control and you have no idea how to get it back. Learning to be still will have far greater advantages in the future.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• poor mama. I went through this with my daughter too. She's 18 months now, and likes to get dressed for the most part. Diapers are still an issue sometimes, but not often.

Instead of laying your baby down to dress him, try to let him sit up, if he can stand, even better.
    for diapers, I play peekaboo, or blow raspberries on her belly. Also, once they can kind of grasp what you are saying, you cna distract them by saying "oh, are we getting dressed to go see the duckies at the park?".

Just total distraction, but with us, I just learned to be FAST. Lol.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2008