What should I do about my 16 year old daughter?

She just screamed ""f**k you" at me. She's never spoken to me like that before. I've never even heard her swear before.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 3:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If she was my kid I'd strip her of everything she loves for about 2 weeks. No cell, no tv, no games, no computer, no social life. Homework, school and chores would be it.

I'd also explain to her that you understand her frustration but that you won't be spoken to in that way
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 3:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• If she is in her room, let her cool off in there. I would later demand an apology and try to talk to her calmly about why she freaked out like that. If she wouldn't comply, I'd probably ground her or take her cell phone away.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 3:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• Address it when she cools down. Not so much the language (everyone slips up occassionally), but her reaction. "It seems like you were on edge this afternoon. I think I'd like to know why."

Tell her that you love her, and that it's ok to get upset when things aren't going her way. But that it's not right to take it out on an innocent bystander...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 3:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I agree that she should lose everything for two weeks but I would take it a step further and remove the bedroom door... privacy is a privledge and only allow her three outfits... one to wash, one to wear, and one to spare. If she doesn't show you any respect why should she be aloud to have any of the benifits of the things you provide for her?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 3:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• My mom punishes me if i ever swore at her.. she said if i act like a baby i would be treated like one..
    james1915

Answer by james1915 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I agree with because..........
    My daughter didn't have her bedroom door for months and she wasn't even close to talking to me like that!!
    Maybe counseling for your dd???
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I'd give her some cooling down time and then I'd demand an explanation.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 6:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I wouldlet her calm down and calm down myself. I would remind her that such language is not tolerated in our family. And I would try to get her to talk to me about what has her so upset that she would act so unlike herself.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• I agree that a cooling off period is in order before you approach her. Let her know that being disrespectful isn't tolerated and find an appropriate punishment/grounding.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2011

• She would be in a room with only a bed and a pillow and without a social life for a long time.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2011