How do I get my picky eater to eat?

My daughter will only eat a small handful of foods and if they aren't served then she doesn't eat. She is underweight as it is and my husband and I are at our wit's end. Help!

Wifey_Caliente

Asked by Wifey_Caliente at 12:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try having your child help prepare the food. A lot of kids will eat things that they've helped make even if they won't eat anything else. Also kids taste buds are sometimes more sensitive and they are more aware of textures than adults are. See if you can identify the tastes and textures she'll actually eat. Then see if she'll try other things done that way. Try doing a blind taste test with her. I was a very picky eater as a kid. Turns out that some of what I wouldn't eat was because my friends kept telling me how yucky they were.The biggest thing about it is though...don't sweat it. Most kids will go through phases of being picky and will outgrow it. As long as they still are eating it's not usually a big deal.
    LeBoof

Answer by LeBoof at 12:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I agree with the above, but also remember that it takes a child tasting something multiple times to acquire a taste for it, so just keep offering her different things over and over and encourage her to try ONE BITE. I have also found that kids will try FUN foods, so be creative and make things look funny. Maybe she would eat something new if it looked crazy. I'm sure you can find some cute ideas online.
    not_perfect

Answer by not_perfect at 1:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• i agree with botht he abouve lol. my son loves 'slime' on his pancakes and waffles. and all i basically did was add a few drops of green food dye to regular corn syrup. hell eat anything that has 'slime' on it, bc you know..... eating slime will make you a superhero someday *wink*
    Miss_Yoshie

Answer by Miss_Yoshie at 11:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Leboof had really great suggestions... also, do you sit and eat with your child at the table? Sometimes, my daughter won't eat unless she sees my husband and I eating too. We will sometimes do airplanes to each other and to ourselves to make it fun to eat and then say "Mmmmmm!" and smile big when we swallow or say "Ahhhhhh!" We make it a little dramatic sometimes but she will participate and she will copy us. Also, I give her snacks throughout the day at her little table where she plays with her toys and she'll munch on healthy snacks throughout the day like apples, cheese, raisins, grapes,etc.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 8:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I am at my wits end with my son, who is 23 months. All he wants to eat is fruit, eggs, wafles and sausage. I have tried many different foods, and I can usually persuade him to eat a little meat, pasta and potatoes, if I play the "airplane game." But, aside from broccoli every once in a while, getting him to eat vegetables is a nightmare. I have resorted to mixing sweet potato puree into pancake mix, making pumpkin bread, mixing puree'd green beans into tomato sauce (which, in itself, is hit or miss). I despise cooking, so this is just miserable. He was SUCH a great eater, up until a couple of months ago.
    RobinMesaAZ

Answer by RobinMesaAZ at 6:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2008