ear infection

What can I do besides antibiotics for an ear infection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wait it out. give tylenol for the pain/pressure. elevate baby's head while they are sleeping (before mine out grew it, we would use the infant carrier/carseat for sleeping. just strapped them in it so it kept them elevated)
    samisilin drops from any pharmacy (walmart, CVS, walgreens etc)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• There are excellent homeopathic remedies. Look into these. Hyland's is one brand name I have seen. Keep the baby's head covered at all times. Some hats might be too warm, but a light cloth one can be used. You want to cover the head AND the ears and sides of the neck from drafts which slightly cool the skin. Also keep the feet warm - bootees or socks made of WOOL for real warmth. Preserving warmth is paramount in a baby because the rate of growth (of organs AND brain) is a strain for the body. Using valuable energy to keep warm takes it away from growth. Generally a baby should wear long sleeves and have its legs covered, too, unless he/she is in very warm surroundings, like over 70 degrees. The baby should feel warm to the touch, not cool. If the skin looks mottled, it is showing coolness. ... Back to earache: make sure that the baby is not getting chilled by ...(cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:38 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• (cont'd) ...the diapers or by diaper changes. This means wearing woolen diaper covers (some have legs to the knee or to the ankle, too - nice!) so that being wet doesn't cause that whole area to be chilled; and when changing the diaper, try to be in a very warm place to prevent chilling the whole body when you open up the diaper & expose so much of the central body to the air. In addition, you can tuck a cloth ciaper into your waistband against your skin to warm it, and then whip it out to cover the diaper area when you open up the diaper. ... Drinking lots of water helps to loosen up mucus which is clogging the ear (for a baby you boil the water, and adding a seed or two of fennel will sweeten it) ... If your baby is eating ... cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• (cont'd) ... foods, then avoid sugar ... Cuddle your baby with your warmth (sleeping with you at night), use a hot water bottle to give extra warmth to the affected side of the head (not too HOT ! test it with your wrist ) ... Good Luck! ... ... The reason to NURSE your child (not nurse: breastfeed, but nurse: care for the sick) through an ear infection is that a course of antibiotics often doesn't cure it - it comes back again. ... And if you are already giving the antibiotic, then make sure to give a bit of yogurt to replace the important intestinal flora every day. If your baby is still nursing and not yet drinking milk, then your breast milk will probably do the job - don't give yogurt.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Oh ! (Sorry to be so long-winded) Also: if the ear is clogged, try this: The eustachian tube which drains each ear runs from the ear to the throat just under the skin, and you can massage it to help things flow. Gently & slowly rub from just behind the ear lobe, along behind the jaw & down toward the "Adam's apple" spot. (A doctor, nurse or midwife can show you) ... Again, good luck !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You can use ear candles and garlic infused olive oil for ear drops. If you'd like instructions you can message me. :-) They both work great in our home.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• this may sound crazy but for my ear infections I take vics vapor rub and rub it on the outside of the ear. I think it some how gets the moisture out of the ear.
    cowgirlchicky

Answer by cowgirlchicky at 4:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I hope you find something that works. For ear infections here, we went with antibiotics. I didn't want to risk their ear drum bursting from the built up pressure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would use the antibiotics the doctor recommends and then you can still do whatever works to make your baby FEEL better while recovering. I wouldn't take any chances allowing the baby's ears to be damaged by the infection or allow the infection to fester long enough to allow the pain to become unbearable to the baby.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2008