Agree or Disagree: God tolerates evil in order for us to ultimately realize a greater good?

What i mean is, even though it may hurt God to see his children suffer, I think he tolerates evil (man's or maybe Satan's) in order for us to REALIZE what IS good, how would we know what was good if there wasn't evil?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question, and i think i'd agree with the OPs logic. how would you know one, if you didn't know the other? how would you know love, if you didn't know hate? fat, if not thin? poor, if not rich? there's always 'the other side'.
    and i disagree with samanthaagain...God is all-powerfu, and all-loving. you love your child, do you not sometimes let them 'learn' from their choices, even when letting them get away with every bad act/undesirable act would be easier? does that mean you don't love your child unconditionally, or that you aren't all-loving to your child? same with God.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• good question, and i guess i can say i agree. the root of his "tolerance" is a bigger issue if you go back to the garden of eden where he created man in his image, with the purpose of man having relationship with Him, but man chose to rebel, and ultimatley give satan control. so i guess i could say (and it may not make sense!) that while we now have our own choice, perhaps he does give us that choice so that we can see His Glory when things go bad. does that make sense at all? lol
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 12:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Makes sense to me (i am the question asker lol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Disagree. If he was all good, and didn't want us to suffer, then he would not tolerate evil. We would know what good is because everything would be good. There would be no need to "show us" anything because we would be living it every day.

"Either god cannot destroy all evil or he will not. If he cannot he is not all powerful. If he will not he is not all good." ~Unknown
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Great Question, had even me going hmmmmm. Samantha should be reminded that for all to be good w/a God, we wouldn't have free will to make our own choices; thats the quagmire.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Hard one! LOL

God created evil, so it does have a good purpose because God is ALL GOOD and will not be where evil is.

That said, we also know that Satan perverted evil - tweaked it into what it is now.

Yes, I believe God allows evil so that we recognize good ...

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I didn't say God was all good BUT it got me thinking....maybe he is so good and smart that he realizes that within eviil we cannot recognize good....
    maybe

O.o
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• just reread my answer(habit of mine, unfortunately, after i've entered it)...''..all-POWERFU..'' for some reason makes me laugh...forgot the 'l'. its late..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 3:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Since He gave us free will.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:18 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yeah I guess thats an okay way of putting it. He allows it because its only then in the darkness where light can be seen. He gave us free will to choose obedience to him or disobedience. Evil comes from that disobedience to God. A lot of times we want to blame everything or everyone for the chaos in our lives, but we have refused to look at our own hearts and take responsibility for our own shortcomings and sin.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2008