Sex Inducing Labor??

Okay so DH and I are trying to figure out how to move things along here.. This kid is ready to come out but he just doesn't want to. I've been told that having sex helps due to the semen and orgasm. So how often do we need to get it on for this to have an effect? I'm already dilated to 3 cm but I have been for over a week now.

rethink911

Asked by rethink911 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There is something in semen that causes the cervix to dialate, that is why they say have lots of sex. Orgasms can cause uterine contractions so they may help too. Doc told me "lots of sex" lol not sure what lots equals.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• However much you're comfortable with. Just remember that all of these remedies only help things along. Your baby won't come until he or she is ready. And orgasm triggers the release of oxytocin, which stimulates uterine contractions like Bearsjen said. The semen softens the cervix so that it will dialate easier.

But really up until your water breaks you can just have sex as often as you feel comfortable. Don't use up all of your energy, you'll need it for labor lol.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• lol well in my experience if sex helped at all i would have given birth months ago.. but i'm not sure ... i think i'm going to ask a question on here about that
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have heard of sex stimulating labor (orgasms stimulate the contraction of the uterus).
    I have heard of eating spicy foods to stimulate labor, but who wants heartburn or acid refulx while laboring?
    I have heard of drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea to get labor going, but it never worked for me.
    I even heard of drinking castor oil, but when I tried it, I just threw up.....ew!
    When I was overdue with my first child, my MIL at the time, who was a school bus driver, made sure to hit every pothole while I rode her bus in order to try to get me to go into labor. It was painful, but didn't do a darn thing...LOL.
    Nothing worked on my 3 overdue children except for inducements.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2008