is it normal?

my 23 month old has recently started hitting himself, or banging his head on the floor repeatedly when he is angry or in pain... i a wondering if this is normal or signs of a severe bevahoiral or mental health problem.. i have bipolar and my mom said i used to do this but so did lil borther and hes "normal".. i hope to god he doesnt have this and that this is just a normal behvior.. does / did anyone elses child do this?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, it's normal. He doesn't know how to get out his frustration yet. You should gently discourage the behavior, but don't freak out. It's just one more step in learning how to explore his feelings.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• its normal, my niece hits the side of her head really hard when shes frustrated and shes almsot 20 months i think
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Many children do things like that for attention. I'd only be a little concerned since he's doing it when he's in pain. They say sometimes we create other pain to dull other pain. If it's a major issue, just ask his doctor and let his doctor know you having bipolar.
    mom_n_goddess

Answer by mom_n_goddess at 1:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My brother did this. I think like 20% of boys do this (more common in boys than girls). Just be sure to put a pillow under where he's hitting, if you can. My mom says she got smart, and put down an area rug, but my brother would crawl to the edge of it and keep banging his head on the bare floor. She also said when she would pay attention to him, he would bang his head that much longer. But when he started a tantrum, if she ignored it, he would see she wasnt paying attention and stop. HTH!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My dd does this sometimes, and she laughs so hard when she hits herself and says "boom". thought it was abnormal too, but it seems it's a very common thing. She is 18 months old.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son is 18 months old and he does that a lot. He will throw himself on the floor and bang his head. It's just his way of showing his anger and is a normal thing.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It's normal. My son used to just throw himself on the floor face first...like drop without even attempting to catch himself. My friend watched him do it on the sidewalk outside one time and freaked out. I told her to let him be. He got up a minute later and came over to show me where he got hurt when he fell and I told him he wouldn't get hurt if he didn't do that. He used to hold his breath, too. Now that is scary. He did once and pretty much passed out in front of my eyes, turned blue and scared the crap out of me. He liked to scare me, I think.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2008